About to brew 1st AG one question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I read the 1st Papazian and am on the second now. He says that you Mash your hour then add hotter water at the end to stop the enzymes? Is this a regular practice? I have only seen people add their correct temps, try to hit correct temps once grain is added and let sit for an hour. Do you all add 180 degree hotter water at the end to stop the enzymes?

This is called a mashout. It really depends on what type of sparging you are doing. If you are batch sparging, most people skip the mashout and raise the grain temperature with their first sparge water addition to stop conversion.

If you are fly sparging it is a good idea to raise the grain temperature to stop conversion, because it takes longer than batch sparging.

Im batch sparging... making edworts haus pale ale... going to add water leave for an hour at hopefully the right temp... and then drain and add more water to sparge... should this water be alot hotter than the original strike water? I believe ed adds 3.5 gallons and sparges with another 3.5 but I dont think he mentioned increasing temp for sparge water. Also, some stir their mash during the hour I have read... should I remove the lid on the mash tun and stir every 20 min or so or just let it go after the one initial stirring?

So this mash paddle i sanded for hours yesterday I wont need? I havent been able to get a tool yet to drill holes in it anyway.

Back