First time racking and bottling ..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I will be racking and bottling for the first time tomorrow and i just had a question.

When adding priming sugar after heating and mixing in water should i just put it at the bottom of the bucket and fill or gradually add it as the bucket fills?

Any tips in this process would be great thanks !

Just put it on the bottom of your bucket and rack on top of it. You may want to take a sterilized spoon to gently stir it a bit before bottling - but other than that bottle away!

Oh yeah, make sure to take the cap off of your auto siphon. I was wondering why my brew was being so difficult to keep flowing. (It was the cap) :)
-Me

Just put it on the bottom of your bucket and rack on top of it. You may want to take a sterilized spoon to gently stir it a bit before bottling - but other than that bottle away!

Oh yeah, make sure to take the cap off of your auto siphon. I was wondering why my brew was being so difficult to keep flowing. (It was the cap) :)
-Me

I don't know what kinda auto siphon you have....but if it has a cap on the end.....I'd leave it on. The cap stops the trub from being sucked up into your auto siphon, and into your bottling bucket, by keeping the bottom of the auto siphon out of the trub to begin with. I forgot to put mine on one time (and let me tell you it was the last!!) and what a cloudy mess. Don't stress out about the bottling ohill you'll be fine.

Also a good thread.... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/oops-left-cap-my-auto-siphon-worked-even-better-92320/

I don't know what kinda auto siphon you have....but if it has a cap on the end.....I'd leave it on. The cap stops the trub from being sucked up into your auto siphon, and into your bottling bucket, by keeping the bottom of the auto siphon out of the trub to begin with. I forgot to put mine on one time (and let me tell you it was the last!!) and what a cloudy mess. Don't stress out about the bottling ohill you'll be fine.

Also a good thread.... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/oops-left-cap-my-auto-siphon-worked-even-better-92320/

I'm a newbie but that's exactly what I thinking. The cap minimizes the amount of solids you get sucked into the siphon.

When adding priming sugar after heating and mixing in water should i just put it at the bottom of the bucket and fill or gradually add it as the bucket fills?
Any tips in this process would be great thanks !

Put it in the bottom of the bucket and make sure your siphon hose is coiled and all the way at the bottom of the bucket This will allow your beer to mix with the bottling sugar evenly with no need to stir.

Back