How do folks who visit the US talk about the US when they go back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDamnBatch

Reaction score
Often times I'll overhear conversations about visits to various countries... you have to go to Ireland,Spain,England,Germany,Africa,Japan,China,Brazil etc... because they have the best noodles, beer, race horses, etc... in the world... blah, blah, blah... and over there they do this and that and it's so awesome and you have to visit monument X and the grand building!

I've never heard anyone say that they'd like to stay and live in these countries.

What do the locals in these countries say about their visit to America?

When you're in the US you have to go to Wisconsin, California, Florida, etc... because they have the best noodles, beer and races horses etc... in the world... blah, blah, blah... and over there they do this and that and it's so awesome... and you have to visit monument X and the grand building!

Some may say I'd like to stay here and bring my culture from "over there".

Are you sure you want that answered? Remember the saying one rotten apple spoils the bunch?
Btw im from canada, I know the vast majority of US citizens are great people

Are you sure you want that answered?

You-cant-handle-the-truth6.jpg

* - Not directed at anyone in particular.

Having just got back from the UK 2 weeks ago, and having attended a beer fest there... And also because I'm Canadian (yet live in the US)...:

1) Usually the latest big thing in the news is what's on people's mind. The recent shooting and ensuing gun control brouhaha in the US was often mentioned, with Brits generally taking the position that there are too many guns in the US. [No intention to open a can of worms here]

2) Beer wise... Brits are starting to see that there IS good beer in the US. In fact, there were a few offerings at the beer fest that were American-based (a couple of APA's and IPA's).

MC

When foreigners visit here, all you can really do is try to set a good example, and treat them as a good host would.

Not much you can do about the other A$$h@les that are rude n' crude when company comes to town.

The rest of the world doesn't like us, they just send their kids here to get the best college education money can buy.

Oh, and the Paulding Lights...

Really, really? have you looked at where the US is in the world education?

Im a Brit, live in US. America is like everywhere else, there are nice people and not so nice. Different cultures which can affect you, but hey! people are people.
Use the brew Luke!!!
:ban:

They talk about how FAT we are.

This months' National Geographic had a lovely little chart describing that if the population of the rest of the world was as fat as the American average, it would equal the collective weight of 1 BILLION more people.

Gross.

This months' National Geographic had a lovely little chart describing that if the population of the rest of the world was as fat as the American average, it would equal the collective weight of 1 BILLION more people.

Gross.

That's the first thing I notice when I come back from extended stays overseas. We are extremely fat.

I wonder if they say "wow, you can actually drink the water there without going to bed for three days".

Most of the guys I deal with say it's great. They like the bigger cars and bigger stuff and prices in general. Most of 'em like to shoot guns too (once you convince them they're not going to jail for merely being there).

They almost universally think the coffee sucks.

I just left the US for the first time in 20 years and I went to Australia for the month of December for a vacation.

I have also lived in Vietnam, Turkey, and Egypt and enjoyed them all.

I was happy to return to the US,,, We an’t perfect but as far as I am concerned there is no better place.

A thing about Australia I liked included the pubs opening at 11 AM and having a beer at lunch was not frowned upon. They also make good beer.

BUT

The beer there is expensive… A case of decent beer is $45 bucks, and they would frown on my my firearms collection.

ColoHox said:

Gross.

I work in EMS and laughed out loud at that on. Hauling 400 pounders up flights of stairs is fun. Just ask my back

IMO, if it were up to me, every US citizen would be required to visit a third world country for 6 months.

I believe this little reality check exercise would shut up the whining schmoes in this country who have absolutely no clue how good they have it here.

Sorry, slightly off topic personal rant of mine...

Homercidal said:
The rest of the world doesn't like us, they just send their kids here to get the best college education money can buy.

Oh, and the Paulding Lights...

Holy crap! The Paulding light! How I wish I was at Chucks Rusty Nail right now throwing darts!

Airplanedoc said:
Do you have one of those special fat person ambulances?

We have the van kind and the regular box kind. We do not have the fancy winches and ramps on ours. I've not seen a roll-back used in a while

processhead said:
IMO, if it were up to me, every US citizen would be required to visit a third world country for 6 months.

I believe this little reality check exercise would shut up the whining schmoes in this country who have absolutely no clue how good they have it here.

Sorry, slightly off topic personal rant of mine...

This

From my experience in traveling the world and living and working part time in Norway... it depends on who you ask and what their education/information level is... kinda like when talking to people in the US about how they feel about life in the US...

Informed people in Scandinavia and most of Europe just shake their heads when talking about the US... Seeing how the US lags behind the more civilized nations (and many not so civilized ones) in virtually every category, long past time to put the false meme of American exceptionalism to bed for good....

Last year the wife and I went to Australia for 3 weeks for our belated honeymoon. Everywhere we went they would ask where we were from, as soon as we said we were from Texas, there whole attitude would change. They would give us a chance to show them we weren't assho@$s. That we had manners said please, thank you, yes sir, ma'am. Time and time again they would say how we were much more pleasant than the couple from last week that they had met who were from California. And next thing you know half the bar was buying us beers and wanted to know if we knew how to bar b q, ride horses, and met Willie Nelson. Which of course we had done

As an often stranger in strange lands, usually stereotypes about the US are what passes for common knowledge.

Say you're from Texas and girls in most parts of Asia will ask if you ride a horse or own boots.

California? OH, do you surf or star in movies/television?

Most have never heard of Arkansas or Wyoming or even Illinois but they know Walmart, Devil's Tower, and of course Chicago.

YMMV but everyone I met overseas generally liked the US and it's citizens, especially when one of us bought next round :mug:

+1 to that.

I have lived in England and Japan and the majority of the people were very open and welcoming. They had fond memories of visiting or wanted to do so. We have family from Luxembourg and they are always coming out to visit. They love it.

You know, some people are going to hate regardless. It is fashionable to hate the US, but it doesn't stop most from coming and having a good time. They'll get home and regurgitate the stereotypes to their friends so that it doesn't seems like they are uncool. There are great people all over the world, and then there are some pretty boorish people as well. The rest of the world would have you believe that the US has a monopoly on that, but it just isn't the case.

They almost universally think the coffee sucks.

I don't know about this. A couple of my British friends are jealous because it's difficult to find good "drip" at a reasonable price back home.

Most have never heard of Arkansas or Wyoming or even Illinois but they know Walmart, Devil's Tower, and of course Chicago.

I'm an American and I have no idea what Devil's Tower is either.

From my experience in traveling the world and living and working part time in Norway... it depends on who you ask and what their education/information level is... kinda like when talking to people in the US about how they feel about life in the US...

Informed people in Scandinavia and most of Europe just shake their heads when talking about the US... Seeing how the US lags behind the more civilized nations (and many not so civilized ones) in virtually every category, long past time to put the false meme of American exceptionalism to bed for good....

Oh, I see, the educated are well informed about what a $h!thole America is, makes sense...I guess. :D

I like you Norsk. I like you because you make me smile. :p

I'm an American and I have no idea what Devil's Tower is either.

Have you seriously never seen Close Encounters of the Third Kind ever, seriously, like for serious?

Then you, sir, might deserve a good background check on whether you are American or not. It's one of the greatest American sci-fi movies ever. Right next to Star Wars: A New Hope, ET, and Jurassic Park.

The only problem is there is no such thing as a "false meme." There is either a meme, or there is not one. A meme cannot exist that is not real--"false"--otherwise it wouldn't be a meme at all. Maybe you are thinking of the term "stereotype," "misconception," "profile," or "belief."

But not "false belief" because a belief either exists or it doesn't. Just saying. If you can hear me up on your high horse.

I am an American that has lived in Finland for the last 5.5 years. A majority of people here, and other EU countries believe what the see on TV. All those horrible "Reality" shows, that are as about as far away from normal American life as you can get. When I have friends go on holiday to the US or even move there they typically tell me how nice it is. How the shopping selections are amazing, and how inexpensive everything is. I had a friend come back from Detroit a few weeks ago and was very anxious to hear what he said. He had a great experience and met some good folks. He was seriously concerned for his safety when he left for here. Most of the people I know really enjoy their trips state side and are looking forward to returning.

As for me, once I move back state side, other than friends, I don't think I will miss Finland all too much.

norsk said:

So, Norway is now considered most of Europe?

I have lived and worked in Germany since 2006 and you know what the educated people said that I have met? "Each country has their own problems. Germany has ours and America has theirs," and so on. From blue collar to white, from students to mechanics, to judges and physicists, they all know that a single nation isn't perfect.

Now to climb off my high horse because I would rather be with the rest of the rational people...

To the OP, I have never heard someone say they want to visit Wisconsin :) native Minnesotan here.

PJoyce85 said:
I have never heard someone say they want to visit Wisconsin :) native Minnesotan here.

I have. A diehard Estonian Packer fan. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Flew to the US just to visit Lambeau.

Catfish78 said:
I have. A diehard Estonian Packer fan. I know, I couldn't believe it either. Flew to the US just to visit Lambeau.

That is AWESOME!!!

I would have a hard time leaving Estonia (it's wonderful), especially for Wisconsin:p

Just read you are living in Finland. I enjoyed my time there. Some of the most friendly people I have met. And the food and beer are amazing.

Latest posts

Back