What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Choc anything. All of them taste like chalk in the aftertaste, which sucks because I really enjoy helping out the local businesses.
Try some Young's Double Chocolate stout in the nitro cans. Love that stuff. Super smooth with a little chocolate taste, but nothing over the top. Don't think it would be considered craft, but worth it regardless!

Heavy Seas anything. They took very straight forward varieties and then boosted the hop additions. They aren't bad in the 'make you puke' way, just really lazy attempts to break into the market.

Heavy Seas anything. They took very straight forward varieties and then boosted the hop additions. They aren't bad in the 'make you puke' way, just really lazy attempts to break into the market.

Hmm, I enjoy their black cannon black IPA. It isn't the best bit definitely not the worst I've tried.

there was this great lakes brewing co beer i had a few years ago and i cant remember the name, now can i even find it on the interwebs. it was disgusting; tasted more like a tea than beer.

it was brewed with dandelion and lavender and a bunch of other herbs. anyone remember the name?

I've seen it mentioned before and I'll add my 2 cents:

Stone 12/12/12. Oh man, and I love Stone beers...

It drinks like a Clove Syrup challenging you to finish the bottle. I couldn't.
It probably could use aging, but at what point did the brewer think: "Yeah, it will be drinkable in 3-5 years?"

Worst craft beer eyy? Im gonna say Abita's Purple Haze. yuck!! I dont like anything from Abita. Hipster beer sucks!!

Berkshire brewing company steel rail. Tasted like I had a mouth full of pocket change. Also, any cherry beer-samadams

Another one that I personally disliked was Shipyard's "Smashed Pumpkin". It was "hot" tasting to me and I wasn't enjoyable at all. That said, their normal pumpkin ale is pretty tasty.

Pabst has been around as long as anyone else and actually tastes as good as anything else in my opinion. Naming your beer after the Hendrix experience seems pretty hipster to me.

Maybe it was a bad bottle but i dumped a 22oz of Avery Golden Belgian Strong.Poured a glass, took a few sips and could not convince myself to drink more.Lion stout only took me one sip before that one found its way to the drain.

JBOGAN said:
Maybe it was a bad bottle but i dumped a 22oz of Avery Golden Belgian Strong.Poured a glass, took a few sips and could not convince myself to drink more.Lion stout only took me one sip before that one found its way to the drain.

Their Belgian quadruple is no bueno as well. Bannatastic.

Pabst has been around as long as anyone else and actually tastes as good as anything else in my opinion. Naming your beer after the Hendrix experience seems pretty hipster to me.

Let's stick to judging beers based on taste. They are a solid middle of the road brewery. Not the best, certainly not the worst.

Man, I just struggled through 2 sixers of Hazed and Infused by Boulder Brewing that I bought for a party like 3 weeks ago. Terrible, terrible beer. I couldn't even give them away once people had given them a taste, and this is a crowd that enjoys a fine craft beer, as most were enjoying Rogue porters or Lagunitas IPAs. Maybe this is a result of sitting on the shelf too long or something, but man, it was awful.

Man, I just struggled through 2 sixers of Hazed and Infused by Boulder Brewing that I bought for a party like 3 weeks ago. Terrible, terrible beer. I couldn't even give them away once people had given them a taste, and this is a crowd that enjoys a fine craft beer, as most were enjoying Rogue porters or Lagunitas IPAs. Maybe this is a result of sitting on the shelf too long or something, but man, it was awful.

Lots of people like that beer. I do not. Luckily was able to get a sample at a bar and didn't have tk buy a sixer or a whole pint to find out that I don't like it one bit.

Darwin18 said:
The title of the thread is "What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?". Worst implies a beer that is so riddled with off-flavors, whether through the brewing/fermentation process or distribution process, that it is rendered epically undrinkable. Bashing an IPA because you don't like the direction of IPAs seems petty. I agree that IPAs seem to be a chest thumping group, but can you say with a straight face that Pliny contains egregious off-flavors? I don't particularly like stouts or porters but I can tell the difference between a well brewed example and a poorly made one.

This. I can understand if someone doesn't *like* Pliny b/c it's not their style. But if a homebrewer can taste Pliny and not respect the skill needed to make that beer work so well, I'm not sure I'd want to taste anything that homebrewer makes.

I personally can't stand many sweeter beers, but I'm not going to bash a well-brewed example of a sweeter style as the WORST commercial beer I've ever had just because it's a style I'm not into...

Unless you are from the area of Greenville, SC, you guys probably have not had too many of Thomas Creek's special brews. Thomas Creek's more popular beers are widely available though and have some freaking awesome brews.

However, they have a Banana Split Ale.....Yeah, it sounds interesting but it was hands down the worse beer I have ever had, and one of the worst liquids I have ever tried.

So grab some Thomas Creek beers, but avoid the Banana Split!

Mudhook microbrewery in York pa. Any and all. Just... Disappointing every time

We visited when they first opened and it was... Ok. Nothing I'd get excited about. We gave them another try tonight. This bar had only four beers on tap (their own) but oddly they had five listed. I ordered their double IPA. They replied "oh I'm sorry, that's only for members until Friday". Fine. Then don't hang it on a sign between four other beers you ARE selling. They wouldn't budge. I settled with their maibock. Anyone ever drink natty light? You know how it always tastes warm and flat no matter how fresh and cold it is? Yeah, this tasted like that. Along with an awkward and out of place hoppiness that just doesn't work with a beer that thin tasting

My lady got the hefeweisen, which had absolutely no head and tasted like a Hoegaarden that's been sitting open for a few days.

I want to like them. I really do. Just...no

Trinity's Red Swingline IPA Primitif......Absolutely terrible. I didn't like the coriander, far too much tangerine, and i really don't like the lacto/brett taste. On top of all that its only 4.1%. I try most things that come into my beer store, I can't think of anything else I've had this bad.

Moonshine Brewing in Chicago made a berliner, it tasted like straight vomit. I love sours, but this was infected with something nasty. Only beer I've ever returned at a bar.

Peak Organic Brewing Company Oak Aged Mocha.

Just opened it about an hour ago and couldn't get thru more than three small sips, one getting worse than the last. It was acrid, disgusting on every level imaginable. The aroma was a sign of the weirdness to come.

I was intrigued with the thought of an oak aged coffee stout. I personally would like to make one soon, so I thought it would be interesting to see what others are making. They added chocolate to the beer instead of just relying on the chocolate roasted barley.

$7 22 oz bottle straight down the drain.

I had a Left Coast Hop Juice that tasted like dish soap once. I haven't tried it since. It was probably skunked, but I couldn't get the taste of Dawn soap out of my mouth all morning, so I'll probably never buy another bomber.

Newcastle werewolf is the devil in a taste-able beer form. Poured it out, even if its a beer i despise, i usually finish it. Most Sam Adams i hate, with all but a few exceptions. BUDWEISER PROJECT 12 CRAFT PACK!!!! If i could curse like crazy on here I would. Worst excuse for "craft beer'' ive tasted. It might taste good if youve been drinking keystone all of your life. Breckenridge is gross. I do not like deshutes brews but have been told I tried the wrong ones. I also poured out magners irsh cider, tasted like how musky cologne smells.

Newcastle werewolf is the devil in a taste-able beer form. Poured it out, even if its a beer i despise, i usually finish it. Most Sam Adams i hate, with all but a few exceptions. BUDWEISER PROJECT 12 CRAFT PACK!!!! If i could curse like crazy on here I would. Worst excuse for "craft beer'' ive tasted. It might taste good if youve been drinking keystone all of your life. Breckenridge is gross. I do not like deshutes brews but have been told I tried the wrong ones. I also poured out magners irsh cider, tasted like how musky cologne smells.

Deschutes is a pretty damn good brewery... Breckenridge comes out with fine brews too. You don't like most beer do ya beerbeerbeerbeer

Swarley88 said:
Deschutes is a pretty damn good brewery... Breckenridge comes out with fine brews too. You don't like most beer do ya beerbeerbeerbeer

That's what I was thinking. I know tastes differ and all, but there have been some great brews and breweries mentioned in this thread and I don't understand. I think some people are confusing just disappointing beer or styles they don't like with worst beer ever.
Deschutes and Breckenridge make some good beer. What's funny is my best friend went from drinking BMC exclusively to now drinking Deschutes Black Butte Porter and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I think they're pretty good too.

That's what I was thinking. I know tastes differ and all, but there have been some great brews and breweries mentioned in this thread and I don't understand. I think some people are confusing just disappointing beer or styles they don't like with worst beer ever.
Deschutes and Breckenridge make some good beer. What's funny is my best friend went from drinking BMC exclusively to now drinking Deschutes Black Butte Porter and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter. I think they're pretty good too.

Ive been noticing a lot of those too. I mean some people are just entering the whole brewery as a worst craft beer. I can understand if one of their brews was found bad but to list the whole brewery just doesn't make sense. 95% of the Deschutes I had have been fantastic. The other 5% I haven't had yet. Tastes for sure differ but to list some great beers and say they are the absolute worst thing you have tried I think ignorance and snobbery is more of the problem. Some bottles may be skunked or off but does that really make it the absolute worst?

Ive been noticing a lot of those too. I mean some people are just entering the whole brewery as a worst craft beer. I can understand if one of their brews was found bad but to list the whole brewery just doesn't make sense. 95% of the Deschutes I had have been fantastic. The other 5% I haven't had yet. Tastes for sure differ but to list some great beers and say they are the absolute worst thing you have tried I think ignorance and snobbery is more of the problem. Some bottles may be skunked or off but does that really make it the absolute worst?

Exactly.. I seriously think that the Rogue Maple Bacon Donut Ale is one of the worst beers I have tasted. However, all of the other Rogue Ales that I have tried are freaking fantastic. That one beer was terrible, but everything else is awesome.

Anything from Tap Room No. 21 our local grocery store has a "build your own 6 pack" for $8.99. you can pick any beers from a large wall of craft beers. I fill a 6er of beer from Tap room no.21 to try different beers from them. EVERYONE had the cloying taste of metal. Everyone...!!! My wife agreed. We had such a metallic taste in our mouth after tasting 3 different beers (we got 2 of each type) and we ended up pouring them ALL out in the sink after just a few mouthful's of each. I still cant believe that we basically poured out a complete 6 pack. I normally drink a beer anyway even if I dont care for it. Not this metal crap...

That would have to be Old Rasputin.

Bought a four pack a few months ago, and the beer tasted strongly of autolysed yeast.

This was my favorite brew for the longest. We'd hit Eureka one or twice a year to see grandma, and always stop for a fresh pint of it (or Great White) on the way in. Haven't had a bad batch yet.

Was the favorite, that is, until I found Pliny.

Some of us are not huge hop-heads. I appreciate an IPA that has good hop FLAVOR, but I still do not dig the uber-bitter IBU race that IPA brewers seem to be engaging in. Too many IPA's and IIPA's remind me of the old "bitter beer face" commercial. Just sayin....

I drink beer for flavor, not to say that I am more manly than you because I can tolerate a 150 IBU Imperial IPA and you can't.

I hope I do not offend anyone with this, but I can understand why someone would rate Pliny as one of the worst craft beers they had tasted, especially if they are a malt head/stout/Belgian fan like me.

I don't understand this in reference to PtE. If you're going to level a criticism against Pliny, it'd be fair to say that it's too sweet, not bitter enough or too malty. But too bitter? Really?

Worst IIPA I've had was definitely Napa Smith's Hoppageddon. Bitter, but nothing else to balance it out. Like sucking on a boiled hopsack full of nothing but Warrior.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer- said:

Deschutes is one of my favorite company's. which ones did you try?

Deschutes is one of my favorite company's. which ones did you try?

+1

I love that brewery. I converted 2 BMC drinkers on Black Butte Porter and that beer was a major accelerant in my love and exploration of craft beer.

My buddy is staying with me for the week and loves that brewery as well and is quite upset at the anti Deschutes comments. haha.

Agree 100%!

Back