IL water report is this good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Hi. I mainly make pale beers and have used extract and partial mash. I would any help that can be provided. My main question is that with beersmith I can get the resid alk ok with this water. Is that all I really need to worry about? Of course I have been through palmers book and it appears as if I can brew most pale lagers through additions. Here is the analysis. Ph9. Na9. Ca31. Mg8. Total hardness caco3 111. So4-s 17. Cl 23. Co3 9. Hco3 47. Caco3 54. Thanks a ton. Just don't wanna screw a 15 gallon batch.

With this water you don't even need to worry about the RA. At 27 it isn't going to do you much mischief. You don't have to do anything to this water to brew extract beer with it. For all grain many would suggest supplementation of the calcium (perhaps half a tsp of gypsum or calcium chloride) and the addition of some acid malt (a percent or 2) would help get the mash pH down but for a first go you could ignore all that and just go with what you have.

Back