Homemade Mash Paddle Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rough finish. Still needs some sanding.

0328152150.jpg

Best if you use Food safe mineral oil. Like for cutting boards. Beautiful Paddle. I used the oil when I first made mine. Keeps it from cracking..
Cheers.

I have been using old oars, sanding down to clean wood then making my cuts. Don't know what types of wood they are made from but have turned out pretty handy. It is nice because the old ones are 1 piece not laminate or glued, didn't know if the woods would affect the beer?

I bought a large stainless paddle a while ago... completely unnecessary. To big and clunky. I still default back to a large stainless spoon.

I've also gone back to a "big a## spoon from my kitchen" for convenience.

so I might put some kind of finish on my paddle and hang it on the wall in The Brew Lab™

I just found this:

http://mashpaddle.com/

I cant believe paying $75 bucks for a paddle that is simply cut out from a plank.

Ive seen some fine quality homemade mash paddles on this thread, that I would rather have, than what I found on the site. But I still wouldn't pay $75 clams for them.
I made mine with a lathe turned handle from a 3 inch square stock, and I still wouldn't fork out that investment.

Maybe its just me.

IMG_5138 (533x800).jpg

This years endeavor. Falls a bit on the fancy side of fancy versus functional. Its one of the prizes for our clubs competition so it will likely end up hanging on a wall anyway :mug:

Cherry with walnut oil (which will polymerize and thus not affect the beer if they should choose to use it).

IMG_20160313_132413230_zpstg2pmmc4.jpg

IMG_20160313_125536944_zpslo0yyrvw.jpg

IMG_20160313_125555284_zpsggbl1ygs.jpg

Wow! I wouldn't use it because that is gorgeous!

This years endeavor. Falls a bit on the fancy side of fancy versus functional. Its one of the prizes for our clubs competition so it will likely end up hanging on a wall anyway :mug:

Cherry with walnut oil (which will polymerize and thus not affect the beer if they should choose to use it).

I had an idea for a similar design, but my woodworking skills are worse than my beer brewing skills, so I couldn't follow through

think you're right, it might be too nice to use.

good work:mug:

I had an idea for a similar design, but my woodworking skills are worse than my beer brewing skills, so I couldn't follow through

think you're right, it might be too nice to use.

good work:mug:

Thanks!

Remember its sort of like brewing in that the more mistakes you make the easier it gets. My first attempts looked more like a the work of an angry beaver adjusted later by a pack of rabid squirrels.

There are several issues with this one as a user. All the little crevasses would make it a pita to clean. The strength of it is questionable, especially where the handle meets the bowl. I should have woven in another strand at the handle/bowl junction to thicken it up and strengthen it some more.

Next one I'm going back to the functional side (although I've been thinking about some interesting ways to do glueless joinery for a web type paddle so that could be interesting)

@rumwrksw

Awesome work, I'm curious, what type of tools are used to carve and detail like that?

Hey wilserbewer,

Obviously it depends somewhat on what you have available and how you like to work. You could do it all with tools-with-tails (like a foredom power carver) but I tend to work a bit more on the hand tool side because its somewhat about the process.

In this case I did the initial layout and then rough cut the outline on a bandsaw (you could use a handsaw to get ~90% of the way there and I did that before i had the bandsaw, it just takes a few more calories). I then drilled out the holes in the center of the twists and used a little keyhole saw to finish roughing them out.

From there it was mostly knives and chisels - below is an "in progress" shot showing most of tools for that part. I used the little razor saw on the left to make stop cuts and then roughed with the large bench chisel on the top. The carving gouges help to match the curves (I could use a few more of those with different radius') and the knives are used for general cleanup and inside corners. You could certainly do it with less :mug:

Not shown here is a set of needle files I used for final cleanup, the inside corners were simply murder to get right.

I also used a heavier ( gouge to rough the bowl and a hook knife to clean it up a little, although you could just use the gouge (I have the hook knife and thus feel compelled to use it ;))

IMG_20160229_195402726_zpsn4gs5nxr.jpg

I hope linking is ok - I have a somewhat more complete step-by-step thread here:
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?36807-Time-for-another-brew-spoon&highlight=

IMG_20160313_132413230_zpstg2pmmc4.jpg

IMG_20160313_125536944_zpslo0yyrvw.jpg

IMG_20160313_125555284_zpsggbl1ygs.jpg

That is a work of art! Don't imagine I could bring myself to stuff that in my mash tun. I'd love to have it hanging in the brewery though!

so, I'm starting to sell my homemade mash paddles through one of our LHBS (and hopefully the 3 others to follow &, eventually online)

here are my first 3.

unfinished hard maple, sanded to 400.

1st 3 mash paddles 1a.jpg

so, I'm starting to sell my homemade mash paddles through one of our LHBS (and hopefully the 3 others to follow &, eventually online)

here are my first 3.

unfinished hard maple, sanded to 400.

View attachment 419064
those look great. would buy. perhaps get a sharper picture before setting up your online shop :)

keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back