Honey suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khyber

Reaction score
Most of the honey available near me is wildflower, and i hear that takes a lot longer to clear than orange blossom. The cheapest i have found enough honey for an 7.5 gallon batch (the size of our carboy) is for me to buy 60 pounds for 150$ or so, online and sell the rest to the LHBS. Anyone else have other suggestions on honey to use for our first batch?

You need to buy more carboys.

Most of us pick up 60# buckets on the regular for honey instead of paying 3-4 times the cost to pick it up in smaller 5-12# jars. Of course, many of us always keep a few meads going, because waiting another year just to start a batch is wayyyyy too slow of a pipeline.

Plus, you can store honey for a while, so if you plan on doing 3 meads over the next few months - just keep the bucket and use what you need when you need it.

If you are going to be making a lot (even spread out over time), why not buy it in bulk? People do that for grain, why not for honey?

Alternately, I JUST made a mead to try it out and haven't completely decided whether I want to dive in (I've always done beer) ... I bought my honey from Draper's Super Bee Apiaries per a beekeeper's suggestion. Seemed like pretty good honey to me & I'd recommend it. Took I think 3 days to ship to me.

Draper's Super Bee Apiaries, Inc.

Yeah, looks like there's a local place for 12# honey - even if it's only wildflower.

But seriously - wildflower can make some GREAT meads.

Well, I haven't ever had mead, and would hate to spend a year waiting for something I'm not gonna like, not to mention the honey expense. Brewing it sounds interesting though.

also.. can you put it in beer style bottles with caps, or does it have to be wine bottles.

You should probably consider trying some then before you make it. There are a few decent meaderies here in the US - I think Redstone is one that I've seen before.

If you're that concerned - buy a quart jug (should be about 3#) and find a gallon growler or wine jug and make a nice small one first. Also, think about making something like Malkore's Orange mead. It's simple and somewhat quick. You could also try Joe's Ancient Orange - but I've heard mixed reviews on that one.

Before you go buying bulk, you can invest about $10-12 in enough honey to make a small batch and see if you like it before going for big buckets.

Yes, you can make a carbonated mead in beer bottles, or still mead (non-carb) in them. No biggies. Some people say that caps are only good up to a few years - but I imagine you'll probably blow through many of your first few batches before you really start saving bottles for vertical tastings.

I have not bought any and have not (yet) made mead, but a Sam's club had some honey for very cheap. I was tempted to buy it, but had not tried a mead at the time and did not pull the trigger. I think it was like 1/3 the price of the stuff I had been looking at. I have no idea what type it was either. Might be good to get started on, anyway.

I haven't paid that low for local honey in 4 years...$30, easily. That's why I a co-worker go to SAMs for me.

The apiary in Bloomington has it for $15/gal(12lb) (and less for 60#/5gal) for whatever type he has at the time and here in champaign you can get 60# buckets for $80(last year's price).

The apiary in Bloomington has it for $1.5/lb (and less for 60#) for whatever type he has at the time and here in champaign you can get 60# buckets for $80(last year's price).

Fixed that up for ya...I think...otherwise that guy is out of his flippin mind.

half the recipe for malkore's orange would work in a glass gallon jug?

Should be pretty close, yes. His batch is for 2 gallons - probably in a 2.5g carboy. With only 1 gallon, you'll have to drop down your volume to a little under that - but for a quick test batch...doing 1/2 should be about right.

I have looked for local.. all we have here is wildflower. I may just have to spring for some clover honey at sam's or something. The quick one gallon recipe seems ok.. and i saw one somewhere on here for a quick lemonade one too. Now to go get some glass gallon bottles of juice for the baby :)

Back