Cascades slow to come up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selfsufficient

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, first year to brew and first year to grow. With that being said, I was curious about how fast hops come up. I believe that I probably planted a few weeks late, however, 3 of the 4 varieties are coming up decent. I planted Goldings, Sterling, Willamette and Cascade. The Cascade's are not shooting yet and I was wondering if they are a late starter? :confused:

Just to let everyone know, first year to brew and first year to grow. With that being said, I was curious about how fast hops come up. I believe that I probably planted a few weeks late, however, 3 of the 4 varieties are coming up decent. I planted Goldings, Sterling, Willamette and Cascade. The Cascade's are not shooting yet and I was wondering if they are a late starter? :confused:
Sometimes they take a while to come through the soil, I wouldn't worry quite yet, every one of the rhizomes I have planted came up, that's 22 for 22, give it a few more days and I suspect it will push through the soil, have you started a trellis system for them? They will grow like wildfire so be prepared, good luck.:mug:

My cascade took longer then my fuggel and pride of ringwood if that helps.

Yep, I am fortunate enough to have a second story deck that faces south, that is approximately 14 feet above the ground including railing. That is my "office", with a sliding glass door so I should be able walk out, pick and process without much trouble. Aside from the 8 feet I have to climb the ladder to pick the middle cones. Built in trellis.....:ban:

I bought a cascade rhizome from freshops and right after I bought another from thymegarden (cause I didnt think it was going to come up) the sucker comes up after six weeks in the ground. So now I have two rhizomes in that hole growing like crazy. Like everyone said, give it some time and I am sure they will come around.

First year growth depends more on the quality of the rhizome, than anything else. But unless something ate it, your Cascade will be fine.

I also went with Freshops so I won't fret anymore. Thanks for letting me relax a little. Like I said earlier, the others are coming up just fine. :rockin:

I planted a northern brewer, a goldings, and a centennial rhizome this spring. The NB and golding were both sending shoots out of the soil in less than a week. After a while I was worried the centennial had either gotten too much water or not enough or something. Then this past week it poked a few bines through the surface and now they're growing up looking nice and healthy. All this is to say that some rhizomes seem to take longer than others to sprout, but it's nothing to worry about.

I planted 4 different types of hops and the cascades are the last to come up. They have been in the ground for about three weeks and are just now starting to make there way to the light. I think this is because I planted a little deeper than I should have. Either way 9 of the 12 plants are looking very healthy, and I'm still very hopeful for the other 3.

My Cascade is doing the best. First to sprout last year, this year it is exploding... 20 sprouts, Goldings and Willamette's onlt about 10, less maybe.

Sean From NH

My fuggles is 6 feet already. My cascade just broke ground on Monday, but is growing strong. It has grown about 1 foot this week. Both plants are a few years old.

i.e. don't worry about it. There is still a long summer ahead for them to grow.

My Cascades also start out the slowest/shortest. They catch up by the end of the season.
I've had the most problem with Goldings, every year for about 5 years now, the bines grow 5 or 6 feet total-no hops. I dug them out last year, and replaced them with another variety, since they were just taking up space.

I just bought one cascade and one centenial . Bit late for planting,but here in New England
it's best to wait for the weather.
Hopefully I'll get good growth this year, if not they will be good and healthy for next year.

My first year cascades started off slowly, but are now the tallest by a couple of feet. Mt Hood are a close second at about 7 feet. Nugget and Willamette are lagging way behind at about 2-3 feet tall for the both of them.

My (2nd year) Cascades were the first to come up and they are just INSANE. They are growing about 10-12" PER DAY !!!

Honestly, you guys made a big difference in the worry factor. I check them everyday and today, just today they broke ground. Maybe the horrendous storm last night woke them up. About 3 quarters of inch tall......Awwwwwwwww Seriously though, thanks for putting my worries to bed.

After a couple days of rain ,the sun was back today. Checked my plants and the centennial broke ground. It's up about two inches. Nothing from the cascade yet.

Back