completely screwed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheels

Reaction score
i just attempted to make my first batch of homebrew stout and i believe i may have screwed it up completely. it started at 1.050 gravity and is supposed to be at 1.012 - 1.016 final gravity and it has stayed at 1.031 gravity over the past two-three weeks. i went back to the store and got some more yeast and put it in, but it still hasn't changed. i didn't even see any activity in the airlock when i put in the fresh yeast. so i'm wondering what i should do. should i go ahead and bottle it or is there something more that i can try adding for it to become the correct gravity? or is it now useless and completely screwed up? please help! :(

post recipe.

DO NOT BOTTLE! if you bottle, I'd wager $1,000 you end up with exploding bottles. When I bottled a stout at 1.024, it blew up after 4 weeks in my closet. lost all 5 gallons.
Do not be impatient like I was!

it is my understanding that if you are going to pitch a second yeast they should be active first, so you make a starter with them, rather than just pitch

Back