Trying to balance a recipe... Help would be appreciated!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
So I'm working on my Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone (which I converted from Dude's Recipe) for a extract batch.

"Dude" used 1 oz Chinook at 13% AA for a 60 minute boil. Unfortunately, my LHBS doesnt have any Chinook available, so I went with Amarillo at the owners suggestion. He has brewed a similiar clone to what I'm making and said the Amarillo will be great.

Anyhow, I ended up with Amarillo pellets at 8% AA and I need to get a correct conversion from the Chinook that was originally used. Unfortunately, we don't get much for whole leaf up here in Boston either...

The SNCA is supposed to have a 62 IBU. I'm working on the math myself right now, but wanted some more input.

Thanks!:mug:

1oz*13%AA=13AAU
13AAU/8%AA=1.625oz

Most people assume that you can use 10% fewer pellets as compared to whole leaf. But, for the flavor and aroma additions I would not adjust.

Beerrific said:
1oz*13%AA=13AAU
13AAU/8%AA=1.625oz

Most people assume that you can use 10% fewer pellets as compared to whole leaf. But, for the flavor and aroma additions I would not adjust.

EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED!!!!!!! THANKS!!!

I have been reading through the Home Brewer's Companion by Papazian, but I was getting too much science and less conversion info

:mug:

Sweet... So with that I get this:

Original recipe:
1 oz Chinook @ 13% AA
1 oz Centennial @10.5
1 oz Cascade @ 5.75

Corrected Recipe:
1.625 oz Amarillo @ 8% AA
.97 oz Cascade @ 5.9 %
1.16 oz Centennial @ 9.1 %

give that a shot and then make any adjustments needed for future batches. I find it takes 3-5 batches to get a recipie down. But that's formulating my own.

Most "clones" are someone's take on what they think a particular beer should taste like, and everyone's taste varies.

NCBM....I'd definitely not use Amarillo for that recipe.

Here's why: Chinook is fairly high in cohumulone, which gives kind of a sharp, almost harsh bitterness. It is essential in beers like Arrogant Bastard and SNCA. Amarillo is a much softer bitterness. It is not the right choice, IMHO.

I'd suggest Warrior. I personally think they are very similar to Chinook. If you can't get Warrior, go with Columbus.

In the long run, it will be a much better beer.

Thanks Much "Dude"

I was nervous about the Amarillo as well, as a lot of the info I have read suggested other substitutes above Amarillo.

I'll have to find a place where I can get the Warrior or Columbus... Also, did you use Pellets or Whole Leaf in your SNCA clone?

In the future, if you don't want to go out and buy BeerSmith or ProMash, there's a great, free, online calculator for designing beers. Check out http://hbd.org/recipator/
The numbers it gives you might not be "exact," but it's a quick and dirty way to throw together a recipe or do a conversion. Once you have your system dialed in though, I would suggest upgrading to the better software.

:mug:

i currently have Beersmith at home on the trail edition. I'm going to wait til this summer when we start our AG system to buy software...

thanks for the tip nonetheless :mug:

Just talked to my favorite LHBS and he suggested that since all of the Chinook replacements (Columbus and Warrior) are not available, Target hops is my best bet.

- High Cohumulone
- High AA%
- most importantly: AVAILABLE!!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! :mug:

Amarillo is a great hop, but not a great sub for chinook. Warrior should work fairly well. IMHO it's a little more herbal-earthy like, and less harsh in the kettle then chinook.
Your definitely not going to get the same results as if you used the chinook, but I'm certain it will be a fine tasting beer.

Back