IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
looking to make an ipa next batch. kinda sick of doing just a standard 2 row + 20L malt bill. what else can i use to change it up a bit? looking for a bit more malt character, really just more mouthfeel and maybe not quite as dry as what i have been having. maybe just need to mash higher

also somebody want to set up a hop schedule for me? i have 5 oz each of

Bravo
C type
Columbus
falconer's 7 Cs
falconers flight
palisade
warrior

going to use a dry yeast. probably s05 or notty. (probably just washed s05).

no grains on hand, probably will do a pm with about 8lbs of grain or less. looking for about standard in range for OG, IBU and a decent amount of flavor hops.

anybody want to set one up for me?

For some different malt flavors, you could do a Crystal 60 vs 20. You could mix up your base malt and do a british pale or marris otter. You could also drop the IBU a few points to make the malt more prominent.

i've been thinking about going with some MO or maybe 2 row and a lb of 60 or something.

not sure what i want to do with these hops. seems all the recipes on here only use cascade, centenniel and occasionally simcoe, amarillo or citra.

i made an ipa with falconers flight one time and it was very very good

I like some character malts in my IPAs instead of crystal malt. Say, two pounds of Munich malt. Or .5 pounds of victory or biscuit malt. Or some aromatic malt. It really depends on what you're looking for- enhanced malt aroma? Deeper malt flavor? Bready flavor? Toasty flavor? Some of my favorite IPA recipes use victory malt, or amber malt.

For hopping, I love warrior for bittering since it's got such high AAUs. I like 7Cs for flavor and aroma, and Falconer's Flight.

You could try a blend of crystals - different ranges have different flavors, or throw in a little Munich or victory to mix things up a bit. Right now I'm doing single hop brews with a combo of us 2-row, Victory, Munich, and NZ hops (pacific jade and gem). Seems good so far.

I just created and brewed this IPA. I should clarify I don't like IPAs typically and especially dislike American IPAs...

13lbs Briess Pale
1lb Weyermann Dark Munich
1lb Briess Crystal 15
.25lb Briess Crystal 40

1.077 OG - 1.022 FG

2oz @ 60
1oz @ 30
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 1
(I forget exactly what hops were used. Too lazy to go get my notebook.)

Wyeast 1968 x2 (or starter. I work at a LHBS so yeast is cheap for me...)

Came out really great. Very malt forward IPA if that makes any sense. lol

My favorite IPA uses Rahr-2row, munich, naked oats, and a touch of honey malt. I like my IPA to be lighter 7ish in color and around 70 IBU. Warrior or Magnum for bittering. Remaining hops get 20 min whirlpool. Centennial, 7C, and dry with Citra, Amarillo. I also like to mash at 154 or so and my favorite IPA yeast is WLP007.

i'm looking for a more complex and full bodied malt flavor. i have added flaked wheat, but that didn't get me where i wanted. i'll probably try some munich and maybe some biscuit malt or something like that.

just looking for something a bit maltier without making an amber or brown ale.

As far as crystal goes, you can go up the scale from 10 all the way to 120 or whatever, or you could mix it up and use honey malt or special b. You could try switching some or all of your base malt for MO/golden promise/optic/etc.., vienna, munich, rye or a faux-british malt like Briess Special Pale. Like Yooper, I'm a fan of non-crystal malts like Victory, amber or brown. I've heard people have gotten nice results with oats, toasted or otherwise. Make a bunch of half-batches and see what you like.

Back