Phoenix Group buy on grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btgold29

Reaction score
Im up in the North Valley and would love to initiate a group buy for the Phoenix area. I have looked and haven't seen one in area so I thought this would be fitting. We have trucks deliver to my office often and I could store the grain in a air conditioned room until it was all picked up from the individuals. I have never done this, but i'm not scared to try. How many pounds/ pallets would have to be purchased to make this worth while? And where would be a good distributor to purchase through? Please let me know if your interested. Thanks!

Hey btgold29... another North Valley brewer here. I have never donw a bulk buy before either but I might be interested.

Hey btgold29... another North Valley brewer here. I have never donw a bulk buy before either but I might be interested.

Good to know. As soon as we have enough interest we can pull the trigger.

Im at carefree hwy/ 17 you?

I was hoping there would be more interest in a group buy. Apparently, Phoenix home brewers are content paying full price for grain..... Come on people!

I just moved and my equipment is still in a shipping container.... but I'd be down for a few sacks of base!

I'm not a member of a club, but I know there are a few around. It might be helpful to contact them to gather interest. They probably have email channels to contact a lot more people.

I never come into this subforum, just got lucky today!

Hey thats a great idea. I know there are some local clubs, but I remember looking into it and the closest one to me was an hour drive. Ill do some checking around and see about the interest.

Club members get 10% off at most of the valley homebrew stores, but I don't think they've organized group buys before. Shoot ollllllo on here a PM. He's the Prez of Arizona Society of Homebrewers, the largest homebrew club in the country.

I may be interested if the price is right.

OT I have thought about joining on of the local clubs but they both are on either side of the valley and a PIA to get to. Maybe we need to look into creating a central phoenix home brew club. I have brewed with ollllllo once years ago... great guy, didn't know he was Prez of Arizona Society of Homebrewers.

I'm all for it!!! Hops and Tannins up in Anthem said they would host it. Ive been getting to know Bill up there and he seemed very open minded. Unfortunately with a two year old and one on the way its hard to pull this off at my house. So where do we go from here? I have a lot to bring to the table (equipment, welding etc.) but I'm to busy with work etc. to take over any president type position. My neighbor (also a brewer) said he would handle a web site and all that good stuff. We are close but we need someone that will man up and organize the whole thing. Any ideas?

I may be interested in a group buy. Most likely only one sack for me but I may have two brewing buddies who may each be interested in a sack or two each at the right price.

I'm interested in getting in on a group buy. I also live in North Central Phoenix and haven't joined one of the homebrew clubs do to their locations. Would love to see one get started around us.

I would also be up for the group buy. I live close enough to anthem to make it worth it. Up to 5 sacks, depending on price.

Anyone still doing the group buy? Or have something set up? I may be interested in joining in

I live in anthem and would be interested In a group buy. Even interested in helping start up a north valley brew club

Likewise, if anyone that started this thread actually got a group together, or a group buy, please let us know so we can collaborate, ill keep checking back, but i can help get things rolling if need be.

I live in anthem and would be interested In a group buy. Even interested in helping start up a north valley brew club

Yes we need one up here. Ill do what I can to help but with child number two coming soon my free time will be reduced.

Likewise, if anyone that started this thread actually got a group together, or a group buy, please let us know so we can collaborate, ill keep checking back, but i can help get things rolling if need be.

Thanks for the offer, And Yes I need Help. I started this post a while back and the interest was pretty lame, but now it seems there is much more interest. However, I can no longer head up and organize a group buy. I would love for you to take it over and make it happen. (or anyone for that matter) I can still store the grain and accept delivery here in Carefree, but I feel bad that I got all this excitement going but now I cant follow through.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Ok well how about we get a list of those interested, either in this thread or start a new one. People can post their interest and then we can pm them to get the contact info and see what we can get brewing!

Ok well how about we get a list of those interested, either in this thread or start a new one. People can post their interest and then we can pm them to get the contact info and see what we can get brewing!

bwookie, Thanks for stepping up to the plate. You can count me in. And, as I said before I can receive the shipment and store the grain until we all decide on a date to meet at my office and divide it all up. You can count me in for about 4 bags of 2 row and 2 bags of pilsner malt.

I just found this thread and I'm in as well. I am only 3 batches in with AG and can already see the want/need for bulk. I MIGHT be able to help out those that can't get up to Anthem or Carefree as I work there almost daily and could throw other people's stuff on my work truck and head it a little more south. I reside at I-17 and Greenway.

Does anyone know where we would buy a pallet of grain? How much would it save us over buying it from one of the local stores in town?

So that makes 5 of us so far on the list, what would you all consider enough people to start getting something serious together...?

I am not sure what it would take or cost for a sack vs pallet vs per lb. But i will make a few calls and see what the verdict is on cost as i too am curious!

Not sure on how many people total, but I think anything over one has to be better. I was already planning on grabbing a bulk bag of some base and see where that took me.

I'm not at all sure on pricing or anything, but when I started checking around that is what brought me here.

Again, I can even help distribute to those in N. Phoenix(I'm at I-17 and Greenway) and even over in Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Carefree and Fountain Hills. If needed.

Hackwood said:
Not sure on how many people total, but I think anything over one has to be better. I was already planning on grabbing a bulk bag of some base and see where that took me.

I'm not at all sure on pricing or anything, but when I started checking around that is what brought me here.

Again, I can even help distribute to those in N. Phoenix(I'm at I-17 and Greenway) and even over in Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Carefree and Fountain Hills. If needed.

Anyone still interested in a PHX group buy? I'd be interested in two bags.

Interest seems to have died in here. I'm still in. This would also kick me in the butt to get a grain mill.

I'm definitely still in as well. I know these don't work like they used to, hopefully somebody knows somebody who still has an account with a maltster that could get this going. I don't think any non-brewer can just call up NCMS anymore and place an order unless you've been grandfathered in.

Maybe somebody has connections with a microbrewery here in the valley that could piggy-back an order? I haven't been in the valley all that long, wish I had more input.

Who all is going to the "Brew Day" at What Ales Ya this coming Saturday, November 03, 2012?

I'll be there.

I'm still in if anyone in PHX is up for a group buy. I went ahead and picked up a 55lbs 2-row over the weekend, but would still be interested in some bulk grains.

Think we could all put one large order from someone like fiftypoundsack.com and receive a decent discount?

I'll look at that link again later, but the 55lbs of 2-row I just bought was cheaper at What Ales Ya.??? Not sure about discounts, but I will look again later.

Well. Since this post I have picked up my 55lbs 2-row, 10lbs Maris Otter and 5lbs bags of 8 other grains.

Any update on a group buy will be awesome.

I'm still in for it and also in for delivering for those in the area.

aStoutObserver said:
Are the prices even better at the bulk shops online compared to what ales ya?

If the buy is big enough, yes. By quite a bit. The last group buy I was apart of cost me 60 cents a pound for 2-row. It's been a few years though. Since I've moved to Phoenix I haven't been aware of any group buys. Too bad, because I brew a lot more (and buy all the other ingredients from a LHBS) when I have a lot of cheap base on hand.

I have zero problem with giving my $$ to What Ales Ya as they have never done me wrong. Gotten a few unexpected discounts from Chuck that have made my shopping there AWESOME! I would like to get a group buy of maybe a pallet THROUGH Chuck to save a little and still make him some $$$$, but as you see in this thread no one else in PHX showed any interest at all. Hell, I drive all over Scottsdale, Rio Verde, Fountain Hills, Carefree, Cave Creek, N. PHX and more and offered to deliver stuff and still nothing.

I'm still up for a group by, though, if you guys want to go in and ..... GET-ER-DUN!

Back