Application of Whirlpool in homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooMan

Reaction score
I recently toured a brewery that applied a whirlpool to the wort directly following the boil prior to pitching to draw everything out of the wort before fermentation. Is this something that can be applied to the standard home brew process?

Since I don't have enough cash lying around to purhase a stainless whirlpool nor do I brew in large enough batches, can cold crashing or filtering be applied to the wort prior to fermentation. Would this even help clarification? I feel like this would also highten flavors introduced during secondary (i.e. Dry hopping) and minimize the chance of off flavors developped during primary if the trub is left for too long.

Any thoughts / suggestions?

M

Since I don't have enough cash lying around to purhase a stainless whirlpool

Try just using a spoon. Stir and stir and get that whirlpool going. Then let it be for a few minutes and you should develop a cone in the middle of your kettle that you can siphon around.

Yes there was a thread on this here once before, read up on it, effectively, it requires your bk is setup to pull from an area where the whirlpool wouldn't be, but you can use a stir spoon or a paddle to stir the beer heavily after boil to get it to create the whirlpool effect.

Back