Third brew: Belgian Ale kit from "La Cachette du Bootlegger"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DZello

Reaction score
I was ready for my third batch and I'm tired of Cooper's can. I already made a Real Ale and a Draught. It was time to move on and leave my Australian friend ;) I also wanted a fresher kit because the Draught I've made tasted sugar, the hop acid and aroma were gone. :(

I don't have the equipment and the space to go all grain so I choose a Belgian extract kit from my favorite LHBS, La Cachette du Bootlegger (at Baie d'Urfée, near Montréal).

The kit is stored in a fridge at the store and comes with a Coopers yeast + a bag of coriander/orange peel. It's probably fresher than a cheap metal can so I bought it with a case of EZ Cap bottle (I love them!).

After opening the small pail, I saw some hop on the top of the extract. Don't know what sort it is but I will ask the clerk next time I go there. I don't know his name but he was very helpful and friendly (it's important when you're a newbie like me!).

The smell was incredible when I opened the cover:
p1010217m.jpg

The little bag of adjuvent that comes with it:
p1010220h.jpg

Smells good! Boiling the wort:
p1010222b.jpg

Instructions are simple: Boil the wort for 5 minutes, add content of the bag at the last 3 minutes and strain it when moving it to the primary. Pitch the yeast when temp is below 29 degree celcius (84 fahrenheit), 20-22 degrees is recommended.

This part of the instruction was not easy... The temperature of wort combined with 10 liters of water was over 86 degrees ! I tried to cool it down by putting my pail in the bath. I also tried to reduce the temp by putting the raking tube in another pail full of cool water.

p1010228y.jpg

I decided to pitch the yeast, turn AC on and put a fan next my carboy. The temp is now near 75 degree and I think everything is gonna be alright (I've read Papazian's books) ! :D Probably taste is gonna be a little more fruity than with a lower temperature but for this type of beer, I don't think it'll cause any problem. The temp will lower and the yeasties are going to have some fun! :rockin:

I'll keep you informed. I've never saw a review of a kit made by this store and I think it can be useful to post something about it here. There's not many posts from people near Montreal.

And sorry for my English, it's not my main language. :)

Great work, and great pics! Isn't brewing great?!

Thanks!
Oh yeah... It's addictive! I have more fun brewing than drinking! :drunk:

I shop there thats so awesome. Whereabouts do you live? congrats on the brew day.

I live at Verdun. This shop is simply the best. The father of the owner told me that even people from the US shops regularly there.

Here's a review of this brew:

Great malty taste, subtile hops aroma, "sugar" aftertaste. A little bit "watery" compared to commercial beer of this type. Maybe I added too much water. I lost a lot of hops and liquid during a the VERY vigourous fermentation. Temp too high and not enough place in my carboy can explain this problem.

My batch was bottled and carbonated with only 3/4 cup of dextrose. It's a little too "flat" to my taste and next one will be more carbonated.

Conclusion: Another great beer, easy to make and age very well! Thumps up for La Cachette du Bootlegger! :tank:

Next kit I'm brewing: The IPA - it's fermenting right now

Back