Daisy Cutter Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White Labs says WLP001 has optimal ferm between 68 - 73, whereas Safale US-05 is 59 - 71.

If I remember right, I fermented mine around 70 degrees (don't have temp control). When I sent it in for the homebrew competition, one of the judges noted some flavors he thought may have come from slightly higher-than-desired fermentation temps, so you may want to be around 62 - 65 but I don't really know for sure.

As for testing the actual DC FG, I haven't done it, but I believe someone else had and that's where we came up with the 1.008 target. Or we may have found the OG somewhere and calculated the FG based on the ABV.

Well brew day went pretty well today. I was having issues with my pre boil gravity cuz I was getting crazy awesome conversion efficiency and was at a 1.045 with 15 minutes of mash time still left. Probably because I could afford to go really really fine with my crush since I was doing BIAB. So to compensate I added another 1.5 gallons to my initial 7 I struck with. I figured "cool more free wort to make this a 6 gallon instead of 5 gallon batch". So that knocked it down to 1.041 preboil at 8 gallons after the squeeze post mash. I still over shot and ended at 1.051 OG but got a solid 6 into the fermenter with probably another 1/2 gallon left in the BK. My hop additions were to the T so I just hope this turns out ok with all that extra watering down I had to do so I wouldn't drastically overshoot the OG. It's happily resting in the ferm chamber at 64 degrees in a bucket with a probably much needed blow off tube already set up. I'll keep u guys posted. can't wait to keg this one!!!

Hi jimmy,

I mashed at solid steady 149. I was initially a little high but just recirculated and stirred til I hit 149 then put the burner on super low and and let the pump recirculate the whole hour which held it at a perfect steady temp. I also mashed out at 170 for about ten minutes then lifted and squeezed. The only water treatment I did was hose water through my carbon filter and then the recommended dose of gypsum just prior to mashing in. PH was spot on for this one according to my dip test strips. That extra 1.5 gallons I added in, in my above mentioned process was distilled straight from the sealed gallon jugs from the store. That was my very first time having to ever do that in all my batches I've done so far.

Kegged this yesterday! Anxiously waiting 1-2 more days of sitting on 30 PSI to fully carbonate. Can't wait! Will post with that first pour report.

Growlers were a huge hit of this brew today at the family get together. Three were gone in the matter of the first hour. We had a real DC on hand for a side by side and one pointer was it could use maybe a little more bittering and hoppy punch but nonetheless was damn near close to the real deal and was clearly delicious and highly drinkable by those who love DC.

Copper, how much did you use for your bittering addition? I had the same exact review, that the one I had made wasn't as bitter as the real thing. Which was okay with me.

I did 0.7oz Warrior at 60
0.44 Centennial at 30
0.88 Amarillo and Centennial at 15
Then 1oz simcoe 0.5oz Amarillo, 0.5oz Columbus at flameout for the whirlpool at the end. Next go around I think I will round everything up to 1oz all around

Just bottled this recipe... I cold-crashed mine so it's not as cloudy as some of the examples here, but I'm loving the color. And... I just drank half a glass of it warm and uncarbonated. Daaaaaamn it's good. Is there some way to make "2 weeks" turn into "24 hours"? Anyone?

15p0nf6.jpg

Just bottled this recipe... I cold-crashed mine so it's not as cloudy as some of the examples here, but I'm loving the color. And... I just drank half a glass of it warm and uncarbonated. Daaaaaamn it's good. Is there some way to make "2 weeks" turn into "24 hours"? Anyone?

15p0nf6.jpg

Congrats, as someone who's had DC locally for years I can say this looks a lot like the real deal. I'm so spoiled by the abundance of fantastic beer in Chicago that I don't think I fully appreciate this brew anymore. Time to revisit!

Damn. Make the switch if ya got the funds. Best thing I ever did. I got two taps but I can't keep enough of anything on hand long enough to have both flowing together at any one given time. I drink it/give it away way too fast

I just used this malt schedule, with a few substitutions, for a citrusy APA. Should be bottling next week.

I'm kind of thinking about making another DC clone again though. Those pictures make the beer look delicious.

Hey all, I'm totally at a loss as to what happened to my batch. Into the bottles, it was crisp, hoppy, nice. Out of the bottles, three weeks later, it's noticeably darker, with a really nasty cloying sweetness and a few other off-flavors I can't quite place. Bizarrely, the hop bitterness is almost absent, in spite of a ton of late hops there is no hop aroma. Multiple bottles, all the same. This has happened to a couple of my pale ales before... the bottle-conditioning messes them up for some reason. FG is 1.009, any thoughts on what might have happened?

Into bottle:
15p0nf6.jpg

Out of bottle:
2j2ubmx.jpg

Time to get a kegging system, this SUCKS.

Well. 2 weeks ago I ended up doing a 11 gallon batch. Brew day was ok. I've had better that's for sure. I tried this one without containing my hops in a hop bag for the first time and it was just really really messy at the beginning and end with clogging issues and all sorts of frustrations at the end of the boil. Also...my first addition at 60 minutes caused a boil over and most boiled over the side so I had to guestimate and sprinkle a few more in to compensate that loss. Oh well. OG was 1.051 and FG finished at 1.009 last night and I dry hopped. This Tuesday I will Keg. This was also the very first time I correctly treated my water and I must say....my samples I would always pull for Gravity readings during my dry hopping stage tasted "good" but holy crap...this one??..."AMAZING" I can't wait for my first drink of this one. After all my losses I should yield 9.5-10 gallons. I'll keep you all posted.

Also....I did up the hops in this one to make the modification I recommended in one of my earlier posts. All my dry hops are doubled and the 60 minute warrior bittering addition was upped as well.

I'm anxious to hear how the increased 60 min addition affects it. From a DC replication stand point, that was where my recipe lacked because mine wasnt as bitter as the real thing.

Kegging day tonight when I get home from work!! Drink day on Saturday when I get back from Weekend getaway with the wifey. My typical force carb time is 2.5-3 days at 30 psi but I leave on Thursday morning and no one will be home to cut the gas off and down to serving pressure on it. To avoid sitting on 30psi for 4 days does any one have a suggestion? Sorry I know it's a little off topic here. But I was thinking maybe 15-20 psi???

Really solid brew fellas! Definitely a more punch of hops and bitterness. Gotta get out and get a real one for a side by side. My sister in law and her BF (who love Daisy Cutter) says this one is awesome.

That's awesome - let us know how the side-by-side goes!

Did a side by side yesterday at my Brother in Laws house who had some DC on hand fresh from the can. The real DC is just a tiny tad brighter/paler in color but very difficult to distinguish. Everyone said and picked mine over the real one in a side by side blind test and preferred it over the real stuff he had on hand. I meant to take a picture but I will try tonight. So as far as calling this one a clone with bumping up the hops on this one like I did then yeah I would say we nailed it!!

So as far as calling this one a clone with bumping up the hops on this one like I did then yeah I would say we nailed it!!

That's awesome. I'm tempted to do a real small batch of this again just to have on hand. This is one of my favorites for sitting on the deck and drinking a beer. Add in a cheesburger and I'm a happy dude.

Looks great.

I would like to brew a 5g batch of this which would require 1.75oz of Simcoe but I only have 1oz.

I'll probably sub it with Summit (I got a good batch with no garlic issues).
Would I be better using the Simcoe in the Whirlpool or the dry hop?

I guess dry hop?

Then for the Simcoe part of the recipe it would be 0.75oz Summit and 0.25oz Simcoe in the Whirlpool and 0.75oz Simcoe for dry hopping.

Thanks!:ban:

I have sourced some extra Simcoe so my question above has been answered. I'm putting this into Beersmith so I can brew it sometime soon and have it ready for early Summer. However I don't see any % for the hops. Also what is the calculated IBU for the latest recipe? I've seen anything from 40 to 60 IBUs mentioned, sorry if I somehow overlooked it.

Thanks! :mug:

I have sourced some extra Simcoe so my question above has been answered. I'm putting this into Beersmith so I can brew it sometime soon and have it ready for early Summer. However I don't see any % for the hops. Also what is the calculated IBU for the latest recipe? I've seen anything from 40 to 60 IBUs mentioned, sorry if I somehow overlooked it.

Thanks! :mug:

I can only tell you what I did, but my recipe and info is post # 89: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=6127546&postcount=89

It has IBU info and whatnot. Hope it helps a bit.

Thanks. :mug:

I did some searches on other sites too and including your recipe it seems 55 to 60 IBUs is the range I should be aiming for.

Going to start brewing this in the next hour or so.
Hops and grain already weighed and water calculations just finished.
The only major difference is I will use German Nugget for the 60 min addition. So will probably end up with a smoother bitterness, which for me is OK because I have a few punchy beers already in the bottle.
I also never tasted daisy cutter so I can just take the end beer for what it is without being disappointed that it doesn't taste exactly the same :)
Will report back how it turns out in about a month. :tank:

I just brewed this again, hoping to avoid previous bottling-related failures and now in possession of a lovely draft system. I made a great WLP 001 starter and it's fermenting like crazy. I also tried a new idea, which is to chill to 165 F, remove the chiller, and do a 45 minute hopstand with the lid on, to maximize aroma capture. Also gonna dry hop the hell out of it. Fingers crossed!

You guys will have to be sure to let us know how these come out.

Mine is one month in the bottle now.

After three weeks it was still very bitter and not very well carbed.
Up until then I was really disappointed with it but now it's really good.

I never had a DC so I can't compare but it tastes like Summer APA. Light bodied and hoppy with a bit of bite to it but still fairly smooth.
It's actually the clearest beer I have ever brewed which is probably why it was slow at carbing.
Looks almost like a commercial filtered beer; not bad for a no chill BIAB bottled beer with US-05 :)
I did add some Irish moss at 10 mins though :mug:

I'll post a picture the next time I drink one.

Back