10 Hop IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So this is just an idea, of making an IPA using 10 different types of hops, all 1/2 oz additions, with 8 of the additions in the last 7 minutes of the boil. Something like this...

1/2oz Magnum @ 60min
1/2oz Columbus @ 45min
1/2oz Amarillo @ 7min
1/2oz Simcoe @ 6min
1/2oz Centennial @ 5min
1/2oz Cascade @ 4min
1/2oz Chinook @ 3min
1/2oz Ahtanum @ 2min
1/2oz Summit @ 1min
1/2oz Sorachi Ace @ FO

Comes out to around 80 IBU's, and I'm thinking just a Single Malt to an OG of 1.065 - 1.070.

What do you think, Cool? Lame? or just Meh?:)

Sounds like fun. I made a Port Brewing Hop-15 inspired beer and the recipe is in this thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/port-brewing-hop-15-a-93496/

Turned out well and it took 1st in IPAs (out of like 18) at the Puget Sound Pro-Am and just last weekend took first in IPAs at the local fair and 2nd in BOS (small comp, only 22 entries)

Brewed it in January and is still pretty good.

I think it's a cool idea. What would be interesting is to see that hop bill, then eliminate most/half the varieties (and sub in the remainder varieties to keep the IBUs) and see if you notice it or if its gimmick. Gimmick or not, I think it's cool and its a perfect idea for left overs.

Sounds like fun. I made a Port Brewing Hop-15 inspired beer and the recipe is in this thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/port-brewing-hop-15-a-93496/

Turned out well and it took 1st in IPAs (out of like 18) at the Puget Sound Pro-Am and just last weekend took first in IPAs at the local fair and 2nd in BOS (small comp, only 22 entries)

Brewed it in January and is still pretty good.

Thanks for that link, inspires me a little more to do this. If I do, i think I will pick maybe 3-4 of the 10 varieities to Dry Hop with,And split them up over to different dry hoppings, similar to PtE.

Still thinking about the Grain bill, I may do it with just Vienna or Maris Otter.

Nice results on the comp, BTW.:mug:

MMmmmmm sounds hoppy and good. I agree with others that you may not be able to differentiate versus just using only a few hops. Would be interesting to experiment with. One batch with all hops, the next with only three or 4.

MMmmmmm sounds hoppy and good. I agree with others that you may not be able to differentiate versus just using only a few hops. Would be interesting to experiment with. One batch with all hops, the next with only three or 4.

yeah, I like that idea, may have to plan for double brew day on this one.

Maybe orangeandblue302 was looking for the grain bill?

Small quantities of many hops beats huge quantities of one hop. Nothing against single hop IPAs mind you, but there are real limits.

Maybe orangeandblue302 was looking for the grain bill?

Small quantities of many hops beats huge quantities of one hop. Nothing against single hop IPAs mind you, but there are real limits.

Yeah could be. I'm leaning towards using only MO. I've use it as a base in Pale Ale, but have never done a beer with just MO. I come up with 11.25lbs to get me an OG of 1.065.

sorry. i was looking for the grain bill. Thinking before I type would help lol.

ha, no prob. I'm really still working on that part anyway. Not sure if going with just MO is the right thing or not. I'm still considering just Vienna though too, I'm really liking the SMaSH I made with Vienna & Simcoe. It's gonna take me a bit to gather up the hops, so I have some time to think about the grain bill.

:mug:

Back