BG12 burner height

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsnik

Reaction score
I recently set up my brewstand with BG12's. During the first brew, it took forever to get 7 gallons of wort to boil - like 30-40 minutes. I expected better performance since I've heard that they can handle 15 gallon batches just fine.

I mounted them about 4 inches from my keggles to leave some room to raise them up if needed. Should I raise them? If so, how high?

Thanks

Thanks for the link. Is there any reason the info for the BG14's wouldn't apply to my BG12's also?

I think I've been some badass brewstands with the burners around 2 or 3 inches from the top of the stand. I don't know what difference it makes if a flat bottomed pot or keggle is used.

BG12 -2"-3" inches
BG14 - 3"-4"

the keggle skirt lifts the bottom up about an inch
flame travel is very different on keggles
be sure there is an air gap above the burner to allow oxygen in, otherwise you'll use far more fuel with poor performance

I just adjusted the burners so they're 2.5" from the bottom of the keggle.

It took about an hour to boil 8 gallons of water from 65F. Does this sound about right? I know wort retains heat a little better.

I also noticed the my propane tank was running low, so maybe that was a factor?

sounds too long.

How low was your propane? The lower it gets the easier it will be to freeze up (the tank anyways) and the colder temp will make it harder to get gas out (the propane needs to vaporize to get out).

Can you post a pic of your setup? Exhaust venting may be an issue too.

Back