CO2 Regulator losing pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WilliPatton

Reaction score
I set it at 20 psi about 16 hours ago and it went down to 10 psi. I'm trying to force carb a 5 gallon batch. I checked for leaks. Is it normal for regulators to lose pressure like this? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Stupid question. Is the bottle full?

Did you just move the bottle from room temp into the fridge? The temp change could effect the pressure level. If it continues to do it, I don't think anything else could cause it except a failing regulator.

The bottle is mostly full and I did move it into fridge after setting it to 20 psi. New to kegging. Will keep an eye on it and see if it continues. Thanks.

Before you stuffed the keg, bottle and regulator in the fridge, did you bother to do a leak check of every connection?

Spending the time can save money in this case...

Cheers!

I agree with leak checking, but a leak shouldn't cause the regulator to drop pressure.

The elastomer that the diaphragm is made of is effected by temperature. It will react more slowly to changes made to the output setting when it's cold. You set it at 20psi at room temp and then put the whole setup into the fridge. As the diaphragm in the regulator became fridge temp the output setting dropped to 10psi.

Now that everything is at fridge temp try resetting the pressure back to 20psi and see if it stays put. Something to note. When you keep the tank in the fridge, and set it to your desired psi when it's cold, it will slowly "creep" over that setting over a little time. I like to set mine just slightly below my desired pressure and allow it to creep up to it. If I wanted 20psi, for example, I'd set it to about ~17psi and let it sit.

It's a Honey Lager at 35 degrees. I read to set 20 PSI for three to four days, then purge and reset to 12 for serving. Is this correct. Thanks for the help everyone. First kegged batch.

Ha. Let me preface: I am a big time newb. I did leave 20 psi on it for three days, purge and reset to 12 and now the beer is coming out with way too much head- and very slowly I might add. Taste great though! Did I overcarbonate? Why does it pour slow? Have to do with the line between keg and tap? Thanks again.

How much line between keg and tap? The longer the better. It is possible the beer just isn't ready yet. The gas is there but it is being released from the liguid too fast. How long was it at 30 psi? What temp was it at during the carb process?

Check for restrictions on the beer line, that could cause foaming as well.

About 3 ft of line. It was at 20 psi for three days at 35 degrees. I bumped it up to 30 this morning and will leave it for a day or two in case you were right. I'll also look for restrictions to the line.

I would back it down. Put it at 12 and let it settle. I think it should be carbed enough. Might be over-carbed a little. I think the 3 feet of line is where your problem lies now.

Back