Started a batch of Cooper's Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_GFH

Reaction score
Followed directions from kit.

Starting O.G.: 1.040

Airlock was going bananas for two days.

Third day gravity is at 1.020

Been fermenting at 24C

Smooth sailing thus far, I plan on leaving in the fermenter for a minimum of two weeks then bottling for three.

Followed directions from kit.

Starting O.G.: 1.040

Airlock was going bananas for two days.

Third day gravity is at 1.020

Been fermenting at 24C

Smooth sailing thus far, I plan on leaving in the fermenter for a minimum of two weeks then bottling for three.
Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out. I have one of that kit fermenting, but I added different fermentables and used a different yeast. I would like to hear how the standard kit turns out as well.

24C is a little high,20C would've been better. Give the yeast 5 days or so after FG is reached to clean up & settle out more.

A little update: It's day six since I started the batch, and activity started back up in the airlock. I find that to be weird, since for the past three days, there has been no activity. Is it normal for a brew to begin fermenting, stop for a few days then start back up?

Also it's kept at a steady 22C, I have checked the gravity everyday and it's been at 1.020 for three days now. Any ideas whats going on here, or is this nothing to worry about?

I may've gotten stuck. With an OG 1.040,it should at least get down to 1.010. Gently swirl the fermenter & toss a blanket,or an old coat over the FV.

It's now week one since i started this batch, the airlock still has activity and the gravity has not changed from 1.020. What gives?

A couple questions

- did you use the yeast that came with the kit?
- how did you aerate the wort?

Shaking up the fermenter to re suspend the yeast could help, or you could try to pitch some fresh yeast

Oh and give it a taste.. If it's beer you can also just bottle it :)

A couple questions

- did you use the yeast that came with the kit?
- how did you aerate the wort?

Shaking up the fermenter to re suspend the yeast could help, or you could try to pitch some fresh yeast

Oh and give it a taste.. If it's beer you can also just bottle it :)

1: I used the yeast that was included in the kit

2: I stird up the wort while adding the yeast and the proper tempature, then sealed it with airlock

My gravity is stuck at 1.018 and my airlock has random activity, it's almost two weeks now in primary, should I be worried?

Back