Amylase/Dry Beer Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epictetus

Reaction score
Hello all,

Im fairly new to this brewing business so bare with me.

I was given 3 tins of John Bull diabetic bitter which were a month or so out of date, they smelt ok and i like an experiment so i threw them all in and made it up to 20 litres or there abouts. I have read about old yeast being a problem so threw the yeast from all three in figuring there'd be enough to get it going. The starting gravity was 1.094 - temerature corrected. It seems to have now stuck around 1.034. It tastes like very alcohol very sweet malty beer. I have some more new yeast and some of the above enzyme on hand. I was thinknig of throwing in the enzyme to see if it kicked it off again.

Now you know whats going on heres a few questions

Does any one know what is different about diabetic beer? - just wondering.

If i put two sachets of enzyme in will it make - no difference, be twice as quick or will it convert more un-fermentables to fermentables as a single sachet? oh or other.

If the enzyme doesn't do much is it worth throwing a nice new sachet of non generic yeast in or is it too late to use proper yeast?

Thank you for reading and thanks in advance for any answers.

Cheers :mug:

"A low carbohydrate beer suitable for consumption by diabetics. F.G 998 or below"

I'd throw in the enzyme and pitch a high gravity, high attenuation yeast. One can is intended to make 40 pints, so you have a really concentrated ale and will have some trouble getting it to dry out.

Back