Why does my beer have no alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What could happen in my brew that I have souch a low alcohol level. Help me!

You'll have to help us a bit first. Tell us about your process that got you to that OG. Did you use an extract kit, a recipe that used extract (liquid or dry malt extract) or were you starting with only grains. If the latter, what grains did you use and how did you use them.

What could happen in my brew that I have souch a low alcohol level. Help me!
1st, your phone is at 13%, probably time to put it on the charger.

2nd, way too many variables to determine what could have gone wrong. Start by telling us your recipe and boil process. What temperature did you ferment?

SG = 1.030
FG = 1.009
ABV = 2.76%
https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

Possible problem: Incomplete conversion.
If it was all grain, mash temps could've been inconsistent. Short mash times can result in an incomplete conversion. Increase mash time, get your temperatures steady, and make sure enough base malt is present.
If your beer was pure extract the wort might've been too dilute and not boiled long enough as well.
From the attenuation level, I'd say the yeast was OK and it finished properly.

Kit? Recipe? Extract? All grain? Attained proper volumes? Grain crush? Temperatures during brew and fermentation? Yeast prep? Times?

Most,maybe more, of these things will need to be known before any useful help can be given.

If you made an extract batch with a partial boil, meaning that you added water after the boil, most likely it wasn’t mixed thoroughly and you starting gravity measurement is wrong.

If it’s an extract batch and your starting volume was correct it’s very unlikely that your starting gravity will be much different than the estimated starting gravity of the kit or recipe

I seem them as 1.030 and 1.010. That would give about 2.6% ABV.

Back