American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your recipe calls for 1 oz Cascade for FWH'ing. But then there's a comma and says boil for 60 minutes. Are you adding another 1 oz of Cascade at the 60 minute boil mark or do you mean that you just leave the FWH Cascade in the boil the whole 60 minutes? The reason this caught my attention was that when I was entering the recipe into my BrewPal iPhone app it only gave me an IBU of 19 which is significantly lower than yours. Thanks for the recipe and the answer!

Oh, BTW, GO BEAVS!!!:mug:

Your recipe calls for 1 oz Cascade for FWH'ing. But then there's a comma and says boil for 60 minutes. Are you adding another 1 oz of Cascade at the 60 minute boil mark or do you mean that you just leave the FWH Cascade in the boil the whole 60 minutes? The reason this caught my attention was that when I was entering the recipe into my BrewPal iPhone app it only gave me an IBU of 19 which is significantly lower than yours. Thanks for the recipe and the answer!
Oh, BTW, GO BEAVS!!!:mug:

Nope, just put the FWH into your boil kettle and sparge as usual. The 60 mins indicates that you're looking at a 60 minute boil.

And **** the beavs. /drunk

Brewed this up yesterday, my first all grain. Had some troubles with my digital thermometer so I dont know exactly what my mash temp was. I ended up with an OG of about 1.06. Also didn't have a wort chiller so I split the batch after the boil and put in ice baths which seemed to work out okay. Smelled great! Airlock is bubbling away now.

Just got back into brewing after over a year. This is the third batch of beer I've made in the last month or so.

I decided to do the PM recipe version, and hit my OG of 1.06! The smells coming out of the fermenter are delicious!
Can't wait to try it. Thanks for the recipe! :mug: :rockin:

Oh, and I haven't decided if I'm going to dry hop yet. I just transfer the beer into a carboy and pour the pellets in right? Then just rack off of them when they sink? I'm kind of worried about all the beer that the pellets will suck up.

Oh, and I haven't decided if I'm going to dry hop yet. I just transfer the beer into a carboy and pour the pellets in right? Then just rack off of them when they sink? I'm kind of worried about all the beer that the pellets will suck up.

You'll lose a lot less volume with pellets than whole hops. Yep, just toss them in the secondary. I've skipped the dry hop step on this brew many times, and it's still a great beer.

Going on just one trial each way, I preferred this brew when I added the 2 oz for dry hop as late addition hops instead (so an extra oz, total of 2oz, at 5 min and 1 min, no dry hop).

Well, I've just transferred the beer to secondary, but I only used one ounce of cascades for the dry hop. It's all that I had. :eek: Should make a difference though.
I did take a gravity reading, and it was tasty as hell when I drank it!

I'll probably bottle this next Friday.

Well, I've just transferred the beer to secondary, but I only used one ounce of cascades for the dry hop. It's all that I had. :eek: Should make a difference though.
I did take a gravity reading, and it was tasty as hell when I drank it!

I'll probably bottle this next Friday.

That's usually all I worry about when pursuing this hobby!

I've skipped the dry hop step on this brew many times, and it's still a great beer.

Brewed this up and it came out fantastic. I am very pleased with it. Thanks for sharing.

I was surprised at how well the dry hop blended into the beer. Normally, the dry hopping seems to stand out a bit more in terms of taste but this just melded right into the flavor profile. It all works really good together. Glad i brewed 10 gallons of this. :tank:

Brewed this up and it came out fantastic. I am very pleased with it. Thanks for sharing.

I was surprised at how well the dry hop blended into the beer. Normally, the dry hopping seems to stand out a bit more in terms of taste but this just melded right into the flavor profile. It all works really good together. Glad i brewed 10 gallons of this. :tank:

Cool, glad to hear it worked out well.

I've been drinking mine. I must have mashed lower than my intended 154º because it came out a little dry, with a fairly light mouthfeel. Not bad, but if I brewed it again I would make certain to leave a bit more body in there. I used S-04 and it finished at 1.009.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this beer producing a good frothy head? I keg my beers but have not been able to get this beer to pour with any head at all. I noticed in one of the pictures by the OP that there wasn't any head in the glass. I'm trying to determine if it's something in the beer or something going on with my keg system. Other than that it's a very tasty recipe. I think if I could get a nice head on it I'd be pretty happy with the brew. Thanks for the recipe!

This recipe sounds fantastic, I'll be putting this one on my to-brew list when I get back home from Afghanistan in a few months.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this beer producing a good frothy head? I keg my beers but have not been able to get this beer to pour with any head at all. I noticed in one of the pictures by the OP that there wasn't any head in the glass. I'm trying to determine if it's something in the beer or something going on with my keg system. Other than that it's a very tasty recipe. I think if I could get a nice head on it I'd be pretty happy with the brew. Thanks for the recipe!

I bottled mine in 12 and 22oz bottles and there was quarter inch of head after the pour. But it did not last.

Mine had normal head (i've done 2 batches). Didn't last crazy long or anything. I also keg, i know if my pressures get too low i don't get head on anything, same with temps to an extent. But i'd imagine that there are oils in the orange zest that could kill head? Maybe you got extra oily oranges? maybe i am completely off base..? what did you use for the orange peel?

Mine had normal head (i've done 2 batches). Didn't last crazy long or anything. I also keg, i know if my pressures get too low i don't get head on anything, same with temps to an extent. But i'd imagine that there are oils in the orange zest that could kill head? Maybe you got extra oily oranges? maybe i am completely off base..? what did you use for the orange peel?

I'm pretty sure that this is the case. Off of typical ale carb levels, I usually get a decent 1/4 to 1/2 inch head that quickly dissipates.

I just used bulk sweet orange peels from my LHBS. I also wonder if the oils from the corriander don't encourage good head retention. Well, it sounds like you guys are all getting good head on your pours so it must be the fact that my CO2 was low. It's getting filled at this moment so once I get it back I'll give it another few days and see how it pours then. Other than my head problem, it's a mighty tasty brew. Thanks again!

I am digging this beer so much I think it will be my house ale.

Here's to the guy that came up with this recipe.

IMAG0055.jpg

Brewed this one up with only some minor changes last month. 4 weeks in the bottle I got my first sample last night. Fantastic! Very clear, just enough maltiness, and the spicy/floral aroma of the Centennial and Cascade I used just explodes. My only gripe is that the hops overwhelm the orange and spice. Next time I'll go Cascade only as you recommend in your recipe. The Centennial was something I had leftover that I wanted to use but it is overpowering (which is fine most of the time as I love Centennial hops).

Nonetheless, great beer. Love the Marris Otter. I'll be making this one again.

sorry for the noob-ness...but arent you supposed to allow all grain to boil for half an hour before you begin to officially start the clock on a 60 minute boil? If this is the case im gonfused about the phrasing "first wort" regarding the addition of the 1st oz of cascade because it says 60 min boil...would the first wort addition technically be boiled for 90 minutes...please assist i want this to come out delicious..thanks :mug:

First wort hopping is adding the bittering hops when you first begin to collect your wort during the sparge. So no, you don't need to start the clock 30 minutes into the boil.

It has become pretty common place to boil homebrew for 90 minutes because we cannot achieve the same even/vigorous boils as commercial brewery's, but this is more towards the "art" side of brewing as 60 min has worked for many people for a long time (though 90 min is always standard when using pilsner malt). For FWH you add the hops to the kettle when you start sparging, so they are in for (the length of sparging) + (time to heat up to boiling) + (60 or 90 minutes, however long you decide to boil) If you decide to boil all recipes 90 min, as many people do, it is a matter of preference whether to add "60 minute" additions at the beginning of boil (90 total minutes) or 30 minutes into the boil (60 total minutes in boil). It will not likely make a large difference.

It has become pretty common place to boil homebrew for 90 minutes because we cannot achieve the same even/vigorous boils as commercial brewery's, but this is more towards the "art" side of brewing as 60 min has worked for many people for a long time (though 90 min is always standard when using pilsner malt). For FWH you add the hops to the kettle when you start sparging, so they are in for (the length of sparging) + (time to heat up to boiling) + (60 or 90 minutes, however long you decide to boil) If you decide to boil all recipes 90 min, as many people do, it is a matter of preference whether to add "60 minute" additions at the beginning of boil (90 total minutes) or 30 minutes into the boil (60 total minutes in boil). It will not likely make a large difference.

While it is likely that you will extract the max IBU's from the hops over 60 minutes, a 90 minute boil will obviously cause your post boil volume to be lower and your SG to be higher. You'll want to run this recipe through some brew software and see what the actual difference is. I tend to boil off a full gallon over 1 hour, so the impact may be noticeable.

What about this with the new Greenbelt yeast? I'm thinking of doing this since the orange and coriander are my favorite part of Belgians but was looking for something hoppy and pale to drink.

My second batch of this should be carb'd and ready to drink tonight.

This recipe rocks.

I brewed this for a beer dinner tomorrow. Below is the link.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/homebrew-beer-dinner-206113/

Thank you for the recipe blacklab!!!

Looks like a fun event, with some great food and beer.

What about this with the new Greenbelt yeast? I'm thinking of doing this since the orange and coriander are my favorite part of Belgians but was looking for something hoppy and pale to drink.

i have no experience with that kind of yeast, so am not sure. The S-04 is pretty clean.

So my brew of your recipe black was successful. She is young yet, but omfg so tasty. Thanks for the recipe. I am gonna brew the second batch next weekend.

has anyone done a double batch of this (11 gallons). Typically I double the ingredients but am wondering if that would be too much orange and coriander. The recipe is great at 5.5 gallons but doubling the additions doesnt always pan out for me in all recipes.

Latest posts

Back