Heat Stick DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cudaman

Reaction score
Does anyone have a procedure for building a 120V heat stick. I'd like to make one to maintain my mash temps. Any pictures would be helpful too. Thanks in advance. Russ

Here ya go courtesy of google:

http://hbd.org/pcalinsk/HeatStk3.htm

Don't you DARE use that thing without a GFCI unless you like the idea of orphaning your kids. I'd think twice about using it for anything but heating mash or sparge water, or maybe getting your boil going more quickly. Once the grains are in there it could tend to scorch the mash.

And I can tell you from personal experience that if you are using a cooler for an MLT that you're going to need to devise a way to keep the element away from the sides of the cooler or you will burn a hole in your MLT, thus ruining it.

what are ya using for a mash tun that you require a means to "maintain" temps other than good insulation??

Just as an FYI, I have made something similar to the website that FLYGUY posted. It works great ! The reason I went for this is so I didn't waste propane on heating the strike and sparge water.
I mounted the heat stick to the side of a large picnic cooler for my HLT. Using a proper drill bit to fit the heating element through, I mounted it with an electric hot water heater nut and then used a silicone sealant (High temp). You can find the mounting bracket/nut in home depot where the water heating elements are.
Also, never... plug in the element without it submerged !! Just be careful if you are going to go to high temps you will hear your cooler start to warp and separate from the insulation. around 180 degrees F. I wouldn't go past 185...pushing the limits...

Sorry I don't have a picture right now, but I will work on it. I am at work right now, so maybe over the weekend.

What about installing one of these elements through the wall of a keg? Can you do it weldless? With a ranco controller you could get a precise hlt temp.

Grimsawyer said:
What about installing one of these elements through the wall of a keg? Can you do it weldless? With a ranco controller you could get a precise hlt temp.

Do you mean something like this:

7985-NewKettles5Edit.jpg

7985-NewKettles4Edit.jpg

It's only my HLT though, Does an awesome job though.

Cheers

Just built me one. 7g of water from 58 to 68 in 7 minutes. Didn't run it past that, figure if it works to warm 10 degrees in 7 minutes then it will work just fine.

Latest posts

Back