Belgian White 5.1% not carbonating well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregoryShmegory

Reaction score
My belgian white is not carbonating well after 4 weeks in the bottles. I used 5 oz corn sugar for this 5 gallon batch. They've been kept around 70 degrees for this time.

My thoughts:
Fermentation took a longer time than usual, around 3 full weeks to reach FG and for the Krausen to clear. Perhaps this yeast is just "retarded" and taking it's sweet ass time to carb in the bottles.

Or, there were a few bottles that had bulging caps after about 2 weeks. When I poured one into a glass it was extremely carbonated; perhaps the priming sugar didn't mix in well, although I used the bottling bucket method and poured the priming sugar in before racking.

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight. There is definitely some carbonation, just about half what I would like. I'll just let them sit for a few more weeks then try one again, unless someone has a better idea. Thanks

G

sounds like letting them sit is your best/only option, from what I've read sometime carbonation can even take a couple of months

Might want to check the temp too. 70 is usually the minimum to get timely carbonation, not an average. So, "around" 70 might be slowing you down.

And don't be afraid to roll those bottles across the counter or give them a bit of a shake every now and then to re-suspend the yeast. They will eventually carb up, but you can accelerate the process a bit if you follow the suggestions here.

Back