Chemically halting a ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewbie

Reaction score
My first batch of cider and all is going well, but I'm going to chemically halt the ferment on a gallon with campden and potassium sorbate. How soon - like within days - is it "safe" to drink? Me boy-o's are agitating for a gallon of cider, and they want it ready by this weekend, if possible. :eek:

wow...you're really in the wrong hoby if you think cider happens in 3 days.

If you need cider by this weekend, go to the store and buy some.

As far as safe....if the juice you started with wasn't spoiled, and the yeast you use was presumeably approved for human consumption...you are "Safe" but gawd it's going to taste like rotten apple juice.

Good luck geting fermentation to stop mid activity. Campden and Pot-Sorbate are for stabilizing a non active fermentation, and really will not ever STOP an active ferment. I honestly hope your'er happy with your product, but I wouldn't drink it on a dare. Good Luck.

+1 on the bad taste: You wouldn't drink green beer fermented for only 5 days would you? not only that but cider takes a long time to get good, like, more than four months.

. . . . you are "Safe" but gawd it's going to taste like rotten apple juice.

It doesn't taste like rotten apple juice, it is actually quite palatable. Thanks for your input anyhoo.

I think hes asking how long you you have to wait to drink it after adding the sorbate to cider that has fermented out.

Actually, the ferment is going along rather well, that's why I'm only stopping one gallon.

By the way, not a he - a she. Please play nice.

No, that is exactly what she is asking. :) If it's not safe to drink a couple of days after the campden, then so be it. I just want to let the boys down easy.

Having done this myself Ive bottled after 2 days and it has stopped ... but I got allot of sediment. Then again I bottled after 7 days another time and still got sediment ... but not as much.

Both times they tasted fine though :drunk:.

I see what big Kahuna was saying. Ifyour fermentation has not stopped sorbate won't help. Why don't you just forget the sorbate and rack off a gallon and drink it?

I see what big Kahuna was saying. Ifyour fermentation has not stopped sorbate won't help. Why don't you just forget the sorbate and rack off a gallon and drink it?

I think this is a good point. If your boyos just want to drink some cider on Friday night, why not just rack it off for them? The yeast won't kill them, but the aftereffects may be a bit....fragrant. And loud.

fart_date.jpg

ya if it have been going for a month, and you really want to drink some
just rack off a bit and put it in the cooler

Is this a full batch (3, 5, 6 gallon?) then you need to worry about oxidation for the rest of your brew. Even if you are careful while racking off your gallon, you are creating a ton of headspace, which is bad for any brew. You can top it off with another brew, more juice, a honey/sugar and water mix whatever. But keep in mind if you add more fermentables, the yeast will keep on working, which means more lees, and more time before its all going to be done. Having said that, when I did my blueberry cider (blueberry apple wine really at 12%ish) I siphoned off enough for 4 wine bottles, about 80% of a gallon, I took advantage of the headspace. I added more blueberries, some more apple juice, and some pure blueberry juice. This completely changed the brew, it's stronger, it's more complex, hell its just fantastic now. So you can always alter your brew now that you are creating this opportunity for yourself.

*Edit, I think I would let that girl do whatever she wanted any day of the week.

The primary was in a five gallon fermenter, then I racked it off into gallon jugs. I think I will try the cold shock and eggshells on this gallon.

The flavored cider sounds great. Since this was my first batch, I went pretty much by the book, but now I'm off to start another batch with some individuality.

Just a suggestion
1. Forget the egshells..too much work

2. Tusch is right, there is a danger of oxidation. For 5$ you can buy a can of wine saver, which is an inert gas....it usually consist of argon and nitrogen. If you rack anything off squirt some of that into your carboy. It is heavier than oxygen and will lay a protective layer over your cider.

Back