Critique - Persimmon Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieBrewer

Reaction score
Here's my attempt at a bit of a seasonal ale.

Recipe Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5 gallons

6# Light LME
1# Light DME
1# Crystal 60 steeped for 45 minutes

Hop Schedule:
.75 oz Cascade pellets 60 min
.5 oz Ahtanum plug 20 min
.5 oz Ahtanum plug flameout

Ferment with White Labs WLP001 California Ale

After initial fermentation dies down, add 2 lbs persimmon puree and "dryhop" with a bit of cardamom and ginger.

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Yes. Where do you get 2 lbs. of persimmon puree?

Sounds unique. I am having trouble imagining how cardamom and hops will combine. I would go perhaps delicately with the cardamom first go around, it can be strong. Fresh ginger or dried?

What is the inspiration for this?

I'm pureeing the persimmon myself. Persimmon is a classic fall/winter fruit. Nice sweetness with a unique flavor. Cardamom and hops does sound strange to me too. I was going to smell test them together before I took the plunge.

I'd like this beer to sort of resemble Magic Hat #9, but maybe with a tad more hops. I know they use extract however, so I probably won't get the amount of fruit flavor they do...

:off: No, I really meant, where are you getting that much persimmon? I can never find any. It is used in a lot of Korean deserts and I always have to substitute for something else.

Sounds interesting. Hope it is better than #9, I am not a fan.

I think real fruit is better than extract. Might not be as in your face but subtle is not a bad thing.

I got it at Wegman's. I bet any place like Whole Foods would have it too. Kinda expensive, but the beer recipe was cheap, so it balances out I guess.

Yeah this will definitely be pretty subtle. I'll probably brew it today and add the persimmon a few days from now. I'll report back.

Back