Surprisingly good batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggraid101

Reaction score
Have you ever brewed a batch that you didn't think would be that good, but surprised you?

My dad loves cherry coke, and last year he started drinking Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I hate the stuff, I hate anything cherry flavored, but I thought for father's day it would be fun to give him a couple cases of homebrew cherry wheat. So I brewed, fermented, and bottled it. Yesterday I popped one open to try it, and just to kind of make sure it is ready for it's debut in a week or two, and it was delicious! The cherry was much more subtle than I pictured, it had only a lightly sweet cherry flavor, rather than the overwhelming cherry that I expected. It might not be so easy to give the whole batch away now!

I am new to brewing, it was only my 3rd batch, and, not surprisingly, each batch is getting a little better. :ban:

Yeah, I think that's the usual way a batch turns out better than expected. Who brews a batch they don't plan on liking at all? ;)

Don't you just love when a batch comes together even though things don't quite go right? Or in this case not what you even were going to expect to like. My amber last year was a disaster when I did it, probably my single best batch of beer.

I really hate it though when you have high expectations on a brew and it comes out bad. Especially ones when you plan and plan and research and then it just falls short...Man that's depressing...

Back