Help! Moldy Scoby?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombucha111111

Reaction score
Hi there,
Hoping you can all help me. I've been brewing Kombucha for about 3 months now. I went to check on my latest batch today and saw this (picture attached). Is this mold?! If so... how did this happen?
Last question: I have about ....4-5 layers of Scoby in my jar. If this is mould, can I just throw out the top layer if the other ones are fine? Thanks for your help!

scoby.jpg

I've only been brewing Buch for a few months, but I can tell you that it looks really good. The top layer of mine looks like a freakshow compared to yours but still makes great stuff. Just let it ride and let the taste and aroma guide you.

Your Scoby looks fine. Mine on the other hand I don't think it does. This is only 3 or 4 days old and has two previous Scobys in the mixture.

20160213_221757.jpg

Ooh, Davidb23, yours looks a lot like mine! Mine is 10 days in though. I'm happy with the smell and PH though, so I'm going to taste it today.

Back