New Bar Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
So a little back ground. I am a general contractor and I am in a trade show this spring. The Edmonton Home and Garden show. I am trying to mix my love of beer the best I can legally (would love to drink at work but I'm sure I would be missing a few didgets if I did). Anyways I am building part of my booth which is going to be a bar with a tap in it. Want to start getting more into this at work. I thought I would post step by step on here for anyone thinking of doing it. It will be built to be used in my basement when not at a show so I'm building it in a way that can easily be taken apart and reassembled a few times. It's going to be a 2 level bar with a bar fridge and a 2 faucet tap mounted to the countertop. I am going to run 2 1/2" PVC pipe down into the fridge. I'm going to grease it up around the countertop and then spray foam the pipe where it runs through the countertop. I want to grease it so I can remove the PVC during transport. The spray foam shouldn't stick to the pipe this way. The upper level is going to be a live edge walnut slab. Anyways I started yesterday and have the cabinet carcuses done so far they will be maple alone with the rail and stile style doors. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447188621.473539.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447188637.478956.jpg

A few more progress pics. Put the other door together and mounted the hinges today. Also built the back for the upper bar. I have pocket screwed the cabinet boxes to the back so when I want to move it it's only a matter of taking out 7 screws a box. I'm going to have it break into 3 manageable pieces. 2 boxes and then the back. The doors will also just pop off and the live edge upper bar will be screwed on so that can come off for transport. The concrete countertop will not get glued in place so it can slide on and off as well. It won't move anyways it will way around 200lbs.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447458587.378893.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447458603.136555.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447458619.814141.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1447458632.400163.jpg

For the concrete we use a custom mix. We use a GFRC add mix and mix our own concrete using 50/50 sand to cement. I dose my glass fiber at 3% of the dry material weight. The tricky thing is water. I use around 1 gallon of water for 60lbs of dry mix but this is the part you need to practice to make perfect. If the sand is holding moisture you need less water if it's dry as a bone you will need a little more. If you add to much the concrete sucks and looks terrible. Trinic has a bunch of really good YouTube videos on GFRC concrete my mix design is the same as on there website. I don't bother spraying my face coat in as in the videos as it is self consolidating and I have never had exposed fibers. For the acid stain I use brickform patena stain. This was ebony colored. The integrated color is just from a local supplier here. They make there own but any powder integrated color works. You will again need to try it a few times to get your dosing correctly for your liking. You don't need much and never dose over 5% of your cement weight or it becomes weak. The color is stone effect black it's again a locally manufactured color but almost all water based stains work the same. It's a liquid concentrate you mix with water at 3-1 ration water to color. You have to spray it on heavy and let it dry to get a deep color.

I have used many different kinds of the add mix but always return to trinic. Some are extremely hard to work with. Trinic seems to be the easiest with the best results.

Latest posts

Back