Ordinary Bitter Ol' Bitter Bastard (2013 NHC Gold medal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
used this as a start to make a bitter, as many of the ingredients weren't there.

here's my recipe, tasting will be in about a month :D

Grains:
Marris otter pale malt3 kg
Cara pale 10300 g
Crystal 100200 g
Bisquit malt150 g

Hops
tettnanger 3.8 alpha 20 grams @ first wort
tettnanger 3.8 alpha25 grams @ 60 minutes
tettnanger 3.8 alpha15 grams @ 20 minutes
tettnanger 3.8 alpha10 grams @ 0 minutes
Cascade 4.8 alpha20 grams @ 0 minutes

Special:
Gypsum .25 tsp @ 60 minutes
Irish moss1 tsp @ 5 minutes

My lord! How big was that batch? I count 113 kg of malt

Thanks for this recipe. On my first try, I had to put US-05 in as the expired 1469 did not take off. Got rave reviews from someone back from the UK recently, but they are not critical beer drinkers, so....

Try two is in the works. Had to modify the malt and hops slightly, but I'm eager to taste the 1469. I'm doing the "start ferment on the cold side" and then warm up after it slows. I'm not a fan of over the top esters, so this will probably get me where I want it.

I brewed this (scaled to 1 gallon jug that I use for pilot/experimental batches) a few months back, primarily because I had a pouch of 1469 getting on in age. (1500ml starter, 10% into fermenter, 90% archived in the fridge in a mason jar)

What a great choice.

Only water adjustment on top of bottled spring water (my well water is nasty hard, refuse to try brewing with it) was gypsum.

The 9 bottles I got from that batch sat for about 3 weeks, then all but one were gone in a day. As soon as I have a 2.5 gallon corny coming free I plan to fill it with some of this, and may reserve that keg just for this, or a rotation of this and a patersbier.

It's a win when you can brew something drinkable as a lawnmower beer that is this tasty. (like many of us here, I suspect, most of my beers are fairly large, or bigger)

j

I brewed 5 gallons of this today. I hope this is something similar to what I drank in London and Glasgow, I definitely drank my share spending a year in Scotland.

Not quite 72 hours in, but looking great and smelling just as good! I really love the aromas 1469 puts off.

IMG_20200827_105512292.jpg

Back