Leaving town for 2 weeks. Bottle cider now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ersheff

Reaction score
Hi, y'all.
I made a cider exactly 2 weeks ago. Heated 1 gallon of fresh cider with no preservatives from the local coop and 1 cup of dark brown sugar to 190F to pasteurize. Let it cool overnight and pitched the yeast (some wine yeast in a red packet that was recommended by the LHBS, forgot the name) the next morning.
Bubbled away and appears to have been fermenting out just fine.
Unfortunately, I'm leaving town for 2 weeks tomorrow.
Should I bottle now (priming if necessary depending on residual sweetness) and throw it in the fridge until I come back? I assume it will pick up a tiny bit of carbonation in the fridge and I can pull all the bottles out back to room temp to carbonate more if desired.
Or, should I leave it in the carboy until I get back and back-sweeten as needed?
It's my first cider, so I don't know what the typical life cycle looks like.
Thanks!

personally.... rack it into a secondary (just to get it off the spent yeast cake) and leave for 2 weeks if ferment is not finished than it gives it time to, otherwise it gives it time to clear and age a little

Yup, I agree with BFR. Just make sure there is water in your airlock before you go.

Back