Don't drink too many home brews while home brewing.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naristov

Reaction score
In my drunken excitement about my first Pumpkin Ale, I almost forgot to pitch the yeasties. :drunk: I had to open up my primary again to pitch them. I hope nothing got contaminated because this beer smells delicious!!

The list of things people forget while brewing and drinking would make a long and funny thread. I'm sure your beer will be fine.

Last night I forgot to add my sugar water mixture before racking to the bottling bucket so I had to add after :/

The list of things people forget while brewing and drinking would make a long and funny thread. I'm sure your beer will be fine.

Indeed. I've forgotten so many things over the years on random batches. Pitching and priming sugar are by far the most common. Fortunately I keg now so no more priming sugar mistakes.

This list I'm sure would actual include anything and everything relating to the brewing process.

I made myself a checklist of things to do on brew day and "get a beer" isn't listed until after I mash in and clean/sanitize everything.

Here's what I found in my fermenter the last time I drank too many homebrews while home brewing.

image-2597277036.jpg

cookstownbrewer said:
Here's what I found in my fermenter the last time I drank too many homebrews while home brewing.

Ha! Last weekend I made a similar ethanol-induced gaff. I inoculated my wort with Wyeast and I forgot about the inner pouch. Once it hit the bucket, I said "F*** it" and it's still along for the ride in my primary.

Usually the first thing to fall by the wayside for me are the notes. I'm usually good up to the boil, but i have returned the next day to find an empty sheet after that...not even an OG reading.

I have forgot several things no big deal. I don't remember who posted it but I read on here someone boiled there kettle empty(talk about having too many).

I'm usually too busy on brew day to enjoy it while working. I wait till after I take the hydrometer sample,note the time & pitch. Then I sit down with a beer & my brewing notebook.

Bought some whirlfloc tablets and I can never rember to pitch one in.

Irish Moss is the thing I forget most. Last beer I brewed (ESB) I forgot my FWH addition.....oops:eek:

While you are correct, too many homebrews during brewing may not be a good thing, you have to have at least one. It's a law.

I usually brew early in the morning so I don't have a beer. But I often bottle while I brew so I do drink a glass of the flat brew I am bottling.

While you are correct, too many homebrews during brewing may not be a good thing, you have to have at least one. It's a law.

See, I overnight mash, so technically I have one when prepping the grain and heating strike/doughing-in, etc. but the next day I start around 6:30AM and I'm NOT having a beer that early. A man has standards. Has to be 10AM.

If I get carried away, I seem to forget the OG. So I just guess the alcohol content by how fast I get a buzz going when it is finally ready to drink. lol.

RawHyde said:
If I get carried away, I seem to forget the OG. So I just guess the alcohol content by how fast I get a buzz going when it is finally ready to drink. lol.

Been there! At least I usually get a preboil OG so I can guess pretty close.

I forgot how to walk once after brewing and having a "couple" of beers. I was taking my glass carboy downstairs to let it do its thing, tripped over a toy and fell straight to my knees. Fortunately I had read all of the horror stories about glass carboys on this forum and for the first time i was carrying it in a milk crate and all that happened to the carboy as popping the air lock off. Needless to say my knees where a little sore.

Bottled a 5 gallon batch, found a pot of primimg sugar on the stove next morning, apparently it takes quite a few while waiting for it to cool and sanitize everything.

My first brew day with my gf we decided to go to this big bottle shop we'd never been to to get provisions for the day. We both got 2 deuces of 7% + brew and some 6 packs, I only remember one of the deuces which was Yeti mmmmmm. Anyway we got pretty buzzed, she was "timing" and passed out. I was jumping around the kitchen trying to get everything sanitized and weighed out. When I realized she was down for the count I just added stuff as I saw fit. I chilled the wort, pitched the yeast, and shoved my only bung into the carboy (now I own several extras). I hopped on the phone with the LHBS where I bought the kit and he said, "NO! you don't want to ferment in the glass carboy! It can explode!" I'm guessing he could tell I was smashed and screwing with me considering he's a longtime homebrewer and one of his employees told me she regularly ferments in glass. I hopped in my car (bad idea) and drove down to catch them right before closing and saved the day with a new bung! Not that exciting or funny but it was a learning experience about moderation on brew day.

i forgot to do reading so now i dont know what percentage my beer is, think i will have to figure that one out of my own haha:drunk:

Back