Experimental Beer Caramel Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerporter

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Coopers Ale
Yeast Starter
500ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Unknown
Final Gravity
Unknown
Boiling Time (Minutes)
N/A
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at room temperature
Tasting Notes
Very strong ginger, pleasant finish between sweet and dry, creamy, no alcohol taste
I have been trying to create a sweet bottle carbonated ginger beer for a while without using artificial sweeteners, lactose or darker malts (which are either difficult for me to get or I don't want to use). I wouldn't say this is sweet, in the sense of a store bought ginger beer (and what I have been aiming for), but it is the closest I have got so far.

So my theory is that using caramelised sugar (which is supposably less fermentable) that some of the sweetness from the caramelising process will be remain after fermentation. My first attempt (using wine yeast) and much higher quantities of caramelised sugar resulted in a very high alcohol ginger wine - which indicated to me, that depending on how the caramel is prepared, a large percentage of the caramelised sugar is still fermentable.

This time when making the caramelised sugar (see link below) - I left it on the stove until it just started smoking - it seems to have imparted a balance, not sweet but not really dry, leaving a nice after taste.

The process that I have used to extract the ginger flavour appears to be very successful - and it has a bite similar to store bought ginger beer (very strong). After three weeks in the bottle the ginger is dominant though I'm hoping the caramel/toffee will come through a little more as it ages.

- 1.25 kg ginger, sliced/food processed. Cover with boiling water in 2 or 3 containers and leave for 1/2-1 hour, pour liquid through sieve into fermenter. Repeat process twice until most of the ginger has been extracted.

- 0.75 kg caramelised brown sugar. Directions can be found here - see making caramel syrup http://www.franklinbrew.org/wp/?page_id=391. I split the 750gm into three batches. Once made dissolve into boiling water and add to the fermentor.

- 1.35 kg brown sugar - adjust for desired alcohol strength. Either dissolve in boiling water or dissolve into warm "ginger water" before adding to fermentor.

- 4 lemons juiced

Top up fermenter with cool /cold water and add some yeast nutrient and acid blend. Once at room temperature add yeast starter. After primary fermentation is finished bottle.

I've been looking for a recipe similar to this. How did it come out?
Very good. I still have a few bottles left and will be making another batch soon. Haven't thought of any tweaks so I will probably make the same recipe.

I find that 1/2 the people who try it really like it the other half are indifferent. The ginger taste is very strong at the start (nice sharp bite) but it has a nice mellow malty finish. It's my favourite ginger beer that I have made.

If you don't want a really strong biting ginger taste I'd suggest cutting back on the ginger or shortening the extraction process.

This sounds like a nice recipe. Question - did you peel the ginger before you used it? Peeling that much ginger seems like it would be a real pain. I've tried some things without peeling it but it seems to then have an extremely earthy taste.

This sounds like a nice recipe. Question - did you peel the ginger before you used it? Peeling that much ginger seems like it would be a real pain. I've tried some things without peeling it but it seems to then have an extremely earthy taste.

No. I just chopped it up in chunks and then put them (unpeeled) in my food processor. The amount of ginger I used really dominated the brew so if there is any earthy taste I probably wouldn't be able to taste it.

I just started building a boat so haven't got round to brewing this again - but I hope to in the next couple of weeks.

Great thanks, that will make it much easier. I started a batch a couple days ago but grew weary of peeling the ginger so in 6.5 gallons I have only maybe half or 3/4 pound of ginger. I think I'm going to need a l o t more than that.

I finally got around to making another batch. This time I used white sugar (2.5kg) and I increased the caramelised sugar component to 1kg. I only had 0.75kg of ginger (thought I had more). It should be interesting to compare this to the last one - more toffee less ginger.

Here is a pic of the caramelised sugar just before I cracked it up and added it to the hot ginger liquid. I cooked the one on the right a bit longer so it would turn out a little darker.

IMGP2481.JPG

This latest batch started out tasting good but left me with a severe headache the following morning. Not sure if it is the caramel that is causing this. 6+ months later the headaches have disappeared and it now tastes really good. We opened a bottle last weekend and the comment from the other two drinkers was can we open another. It is not as sweet as I would like but it is now nicely balanced.

Awesome! I just started a batch. Given your comments, I went ahead and added lactose to try to sweeten it up, but I pureed that ginger good! So I am excited to get that serious ginger bite! I'll let you know how mine turns out in a few weeks.

So, mine turned out delicious! The only problem? I screwed up the carbonation. This is the first time I haven't used official "priming sugar" - I used brown sugar and used a calculator to figure out how much brown sugar I should use, but for whatever reason, it didn't do the trick. But unlike any other beer I have made, it is still palatable, even when flat!

I also ordered a Fizz Giz to help with this problem.

Worked up a 2-gallon batch of this last night.

My version of the recipe looks like this:

1.5 lbs ginger, chopped w/skin on.
1 lb 6 oz brown sugar (too lazy to caramelize it)
2 lemons, juiced
S-04

I steeped the ginger in 3/4 gallon of boiling water for 45 mins, strained into fermenter & repeated w/another 3/4 gallon for 45 mins. Added sugar, then topped off with 1/2 gallon cold water and lemon juice. Cooled to 100 degrees, pitched yeast.

The "wort" smelled and tasted fantastic - very sweet, very nice ginger bite to it. Started fermenting within two hours, & bubbling away happily as I type. :ban:

Most forms of processed sugar are easily fermentable. I'd try a low attenuation British ale yeast, light dme and steeping ginger. But prob also a ginger syrup or concoction to heighten the fresh ginger through priming.

Back