What is floating on my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellow52

Reaction score
I made my first starter but could not use it immediately due to a leaking spigot on my brew kettle. I had it out at room temperature for two days and then in my freezer at 35F to 42F. It is a lager yeast.

I took it out of the freezer this morning to get it to room temperature. It has a wonderful inch thick yeast layer at the bottom but also some small white floaties on the surface. What is this ans is it normal and safe to pitch after decanting?

Thanks for any answers.

I think you have nothing to worry about. Probably as NB said just some yeast floating around. They were probably displaced by a CO2 pocket.

i'd say it's fine. without a pic, it's hard to tell, but the floaties are most likely yeast.

That is what I though. It is similar to what floats in the bottom of a Franziskaner Weissbier that you shake out the bottom of the bottle before pouring. Yeasties.

I had some strange white floaties in my starter last week too. It was two little white blobs, and I'm sure it wasn't yeast or bubbles. I use fermcap-s in my starters, and I think it might have been solid crusties that came out of the bottle of fermcap. I pitched it in my stout on Sunday, and everything looks and tastes normal so far...

Back