Thoughts on American Brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
Looking at brewing something like this. I want a bitter brown with a nice floral hop aroma. This should make for a great session ready around Christmas/NYE. This is a slightly altered Papazian recipe.

6.6lbs Amber LME
1lb Crystal 40
4oz Chocolate
4oz Chocolate Rye

2oz Williamette @ 60
1oz Fuggles @ 30
1oz Summit @ 0

Probably gonna use US04 just because I have one on hand. I also have some Citra, Centennial and Cascade on hand. Should be decent right? What can I expect from the small amount of Chocolate Rye?

love it......I don't think I would change a thing...the summit with all the chocolate will be awesome. Orange/tangerine with chocolate/cofee/toasty....am not a huge fan of rye beers in general, but in a beer this dark I don't know if the rye is going to contribute that much..

love it......I don't think I would change a thing...the summit with all the chocolate will be awesome. Orange/tangerine with chocolate/cofee/toasty....am not a huge fan of rye beers in general, but in a beer this dark I don't know if the rye is going to contribute that much..

Awesome, thanks for the response. I think the small amount of chocolate rye may add something different that will set it aside from normal browns. Who knows though, might not add anything.

Gonna brew this soon, going with Wyeast 1450 (Denny's Favorite). I have never used this strain but it looks like a nice fit for this brew. :mug:

It's gonna be pretty dark with amber LME and a half pound of chocolate grains, but looks tasty. I just wanted to make sure you're prepared for a pretty richly roasty brown ale.

Brewed, went with this:

6.6lbs Amber LME
1lb Crystal 40
4oz Chocolate
4oz Chocolate Rye

1.5oz Williamette @ 60
1.0oz Fuggles @ 30
0.5oz Williamette @ 10
1.25oz Summit @ 0

Pitched Wyeast 1450 @ 68 degrees. Didn't make a starter so we shall see.

Depending on the aroma when fermentation is finished I may dry hop with more Summit.

Back