Apfelwein fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
i have made about 5 batches of apfelwein and all have come out great. this time i decided to use cider instead of apple juice and 2lbs of dark brown sugar instead of corn sugar. my question is when i mixed the brown sugar in with the cider it didnt disolve real well like the corn sugar does, if alot of the sugar is resting on the bottom of the carboy will the yeasties get to them? or does it have to be completly disolved in order to ferment fully?

I think you'll be fine, it just may take a little longer. I'll be curious what a more experianced member will say. I've got a batch with light brown sugar 5 days in right now. I didn't notice any sugar settled on the bottom though.

What was your OG?

Sugar in water at room temperature has a certain limit of how much will dissolve in naturally. Luckily as the yeast eat the sugars from the solution more will be allowed to normally dissolve in. This at least has been my experience.

Latest posts

Back