Legal...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnes06

Reaction score
For years I've been interested in making my own beer/wine/cider in my own home. I have no idea where to start with brewing, but one of the biggest questions I've had was is there any legal obligations I'll have when I do start making beverages? Also if anyone could point me in the general direction on making my own beer I was most definitely appreciate it.

For years I've been interested in making my own beer/wine/cider in my own home. I have no idea where to start with brewing, but one of the biggest questions I've had was is there any legal obligations I'll have when I do start making beverages? Also if anyone could point me in the general direction on making my own beer I was most definitely appreciate it.

From reading "How to Brew" (amazing book and availible free online) as well as the handbook with my starter kit I learned a few things. Some may be outdated so anyone is free to correct me.

1. You can legally brew 100 gallons a year per homebrewer

2. Once you pitch the yeast it becomes alcohol (one of my friends helps me who is 20 but always makes me pitch the yeast).

3. You can legally give out 72. oz of homebrew to friends

First, you have to wait one more year to legally brew. Start reading now and you'll have a good grasp of what you need to brew better beer than you can buy at a store.

First, you have to wait one more year to legally brew. Start reading now and you'll have a good grasp of what you need to brew better beer than you can buy at a store.

Didn't notice that...my second rule I listed should have included the fact that you must be 21 to brew/reap the benefits of brewing

Homebrewing was legalized on Oct. 17th, 1978 by Jimmy Carter. The law created an exemption from taxation for beer brewed at home for personal or family use.

For information regarding your particular state look at the following site: Homebrewing laws. They do a good job summarizing the laws of each state.

Well I wanted to start learning now since I'll be 21 in a week.... As far as selling, that is if I can make a alright brew, what are the legal obligations there? Also does a starter kit give you all the hardware and materials to start?

Well I wanted to start learning now since I'll be 21 in a week.... As far as selling, that is if I can make a alright brew, what are the legal obligations there? Also does a starter kit give you all the hardware and materials to start?

Too many to count. Seek the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your home state. I can tell you it will be a costly process and the state will not only want its share of tax revenue, it will be very strict with health codes.

Most basic starter kits will give you the minimum amount of equipment needed. Obviously, ingredients are usually not included.

As far as selling, that is if I can make a alright brew, what are the legal obligations there?

As was already said more then you could ever imagine or could afford.

You can give some to friends and family. At your age just be very careful. You give brew to folks under 21 and they get trashed and go out driving and kill someone they get a slap on the wrist and you go to prison. So while it may be cool to brew your own brew be smart and dont share it with anyone under-age. (God i am sounding like my dad :confused:)

Also does a starter kit give you all the hardware and materials to start?

Depends on the kit. I got my starter kit from Austin Homebrew Supply and it included the first brew kit with the beginners kit. (Least i think it did.... maybe i bought it. I forget...damn beer!)

Gotcha :) Now how much does all the material cost to start up? I've been reading "How to Brew" and it's pretty informative about a lot of things just I'm not sure where I can pick up my own starter kit locally... Do liquor stores usually sell these kits?

Gotcha :) Now how much does all the material cost to start up? I've been reading "How to Brew" and it's pretty informative about a lot of things just I'm not sure where I can pick up my own starter kit locally... Do liquor stores usually sell these kits?

The price of the kits vary drastically depending on what you get in the kit. See here: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-equipment/equipment-kits.html

A homebrewing/wine making store will usually sell the supplies locally. Check this google search for one that is near you: [ame]http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS262US262&q=home+brewing+supplies+indiana[/ame]

Try to find someone who brews to see if you can borrow some equipment. Otherwise I would say that you would have to shell out about $50-60 for a bare-bones set-up(fermenter, siphon tubing, bottling bucket, airlock, sanitizer, etc.) However, there's a lot of stuff that you probably already have or could borrow from somebody for your first brew (thermometer, strainer, brewpot, etc.) As you've probably guessed from reading on this site, you can put in as much money as you want. I'm still on the cheap side with borrowed/appropriated equipment.

If you're in Indianapolis check out Great Fermentations. It's east of Broad Ripple, they have competitive prices, and really go out of their way to help you. After shipping charges I find it cheaper to buy most of my stuff there.

+1 on Great Fermentations.

Also, oddly enough, Easley Winery (right across the street from Sun King!) has a whole back room of brew supplies. Their hops selection is meh... but they are a lot closer for me to run to if I think my yeast are dead and I need a new satchet STAT.

Also, did I mention Easley is right by Sun King? Growler refills... need I say more? ;)

A decent kit will run over $100. As said before, you can get started for less, depending on what you have at home already.

It is legal to brew 100 gallons for a single person, or up to 200 gallons for a household with more than one adult.

It is illegal to sell your homebrew in any fashion, including barter (trading for favors). But you are likely to be able to give a certain amount away. Check your state laws regarding the gifting of beer and wine.

The process of selling homebrew (called craft brew when you get the license to sell it) is a difficult one. First you have to obtain a proper license, which is cheapest, I think, if you know someone who operates a bar. They can purchase a license for their establishment, and you can brew there ONLY. On top of that there are regulations to upload, inspections, quality control, records keeping, unexpected expenses, etc. The list goes on and on. It is VERY MUCH more work and cost to brew under a license than for brewing at home.

Brewing is a very fun and rewarding hobby, but I feel like I wouldn't be doing you a favor if I didn't repeat something: There is a very good chance that at your age you will be tempted to give beer to friend who are underage. Don't do it. Bad things can happen, even outside of a vehicle, and we won't even mention drinking and driving, which ought to be verboten in your mind already.

If you are just starting out, maybe look for a homebrew club in the area. I bet there are lots of homebrewer who would love to pass on their experience and you could get firsthand help getting started. In the HAM radio world these people are called Elmers. I'm sooo glad we don't call them that in brewing!

Honestly, my advice to you is to just hang out on the forums here for atleast a week, and just read up on stuff. There's stickies all over this place with guides and more information than you could fit in a lifetime.

Be prepared to spend around $150-200 for a starter kit and your first beer. This does NOT include optional items which are highly recommended, but not required. Like a propane tank, a burner, a kettle, etc. I started brewing using a turkey fryer all-in-one that we got from Sam's a couple years back. It works great.

Depending on your dedication and interest, you might just get started using a kitchen stovetop.

Good luck...

Honestly, my advice to you is to just hang out on the forums here for atleast a week, and just read up on stuff. There's stickies all over this place with guides and more information than you could fit in a lifetime.

Be prepared to spend around $150-200 for a starter kit and your first beer. This does NOT include optional items which are highly recommended, but not required. Like a propane tank, a burner, a kettle, etc. I started brewing using a turkey fryer all-in-one that we got from Sam's a couple years back. It works great.

Depending on your dedication and interest, you might just get started using a kitchen stovetop.

Good luck...

Technically, you can start brewing with a Goodwill coffeemaker, and you can spend as little as $10-$20 to get going. The beer won't be GOOD, but it will be BEER. ;)

The standard setup costs about $100 though, you're right.

I realize each state has their own rules, but what giving beer away for donations? Does the law see donations as being different then selling?

I realize each state has their own rules, but what giving beer away for donations? Does the law see donations as being different then selling?

State laws differ. In Michigan, you can give away some beer as gifts. I don't remember the exact amount, but it's pretty generous. In some states, you can't even legally take homebrew out of your home! It can be illegal for YOU to take it to a campground or to a friends even if you're the only one consuming! So, check your state laws. The AHA website has brief synopsis of all of the state laws, for a good place to start.

(By the way, I'm not as "nice" as Biermuncher and had already given our new member a one week time out. Hopefully, he will be back. I just wasn't ok with someone admitting in our forum that they weren't of legal age. I'm more of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of person. Once you tell, I feel obligated to act.)

(By the way, I'm not as "nice" as Biermuncher and had already given our new member a one week time out. Hopefully, he will be back. I just wasn't ok with someone admitting in our forum that they weren't of legal age. I'm more of a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of person. Once you tell, I feel obligated to act.)

Who would've thought that the g'ma holding her grandchild was "mean", and the guy with the giant head dress is the "nice" one. :D

+1

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off an 'ole Lone Ranger
And you don't...

come into our pub underage and ask to run the Superbowl pool.

Hide quietly in the dark and sip your beer and stay out of trouble.

+1

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind
You don't pull the mask off an 'ole Lone Ranger
And you don't...

come into our pub underage and ask to run the Superbowl pool.

Hide quietly in the dark and sip your beer and stay out of trouble.

Lol!

I'm 35, and I *used* to own a Wrangler... can I stay??

He'll be back, we'll see him in a week I think. :)

I fail to see what the problem was. The guy was looking for advice on how to prepare, not how to go out and rob a liquor store. Its not as if he was 14. Heck, he didn't even ask HOW to make beer. (unless he did in another thread that I haven't seen) Besides, it would have taken him a week to get the supplies. Should the board now have one of those pre-screens like the beer companies where you have to enter your date of birth to enter?

I fail to see what the problem was. The guy was looking for advice on how to prepare, not how to go out and rob a liquor store. Its not as if he was 14. Heck, he didn't even ask HOW to make beer. (unless he did in another thread that I haven't seen) Besides, it would have taken him a week to get the supplies. Should the board now have one of those pre-screens like the beer companies where you have to enter your date of birth to enter?

It's a matter of protecting themselves legally in a lawsuit-happy world full of overzealous bureaucrats.

I understand completely, and would have done the same.

I agree 100%. From his post it doesn't look like he will actually be brewing any time in the immediate future so I don't see what the problem is in trying to gather information...He was even asking legal questions so its not like he is going to be distilling or making hooch.

However I posted in another thread that referenced this one. I basically said it is a lot easier to just enforce the rules as they are written rather than trying to judge who gets an exception. So even if I don't agree with the ban hammer for a week, I understand why it was done!

I doubt he's hurting from being banned. That certainly didn't stop me from getting what I wanted at that age. That's why the Internet's here....

I doubt he's hurting from being banned. That certainly didn't stop me from getting what I wanted at that age. That's why the Internet's here....

This is not open for opinion or debate. We DO have a screen for DOB and you have to click "yes" on "I am over the legal age in my country" or something like that. The penalty for NOT being legal age is banning. We are not asking for your thoughts or opinions on this.

Like I said, if you're going to broadcast that you're underage, you will be gone. One week or five years underage doesn't matter. Illegal is illegal. There are probably others who are underage around- but they are smart enough to lie about their age or at least be quiet. Anyone who breaks the rules of the forum will be gone, at least until they ARE legal age.

There are other rules that members have agreed to, as well. If you're unsure of those rules that we are all to abide by, take another look.

Back