Taste variation between 22oz and 12oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eluna

Reaction score
I bottled my first Hefeweizen about 3 weeks ago and left them thinking the taste would average out after trying a 12oz&22oz the 1st week and a 12oz&22oz the 2nd week. This is the 3rd week taste and the difference between 22 and 12 oz bottles taste way different still:confused:

12ozBottle: I'm getting a lot more clovey,hoppier,very crisp,and dry to the taste from 12oz...this is not bad a all either this is actually more of the style of Hefeweizen i was shooting for.

22ozBottle: I'm getting a Fruitier esters,Thick Mouth feel almost slick, but very smooth mellow barely any hop taste..and none of this is bad but actually fairly enjoyable definitely keeps me from grabbing another bottle since its feels very heavy and filling but definitely not something i wanna drink on a hot sunny day more of a rainy day beer

My personal guess is that the 22s need more time to finish up compared to 12 oz bottles and if that's the case about how long for 22s to be on the same taste level as the 12oz? more than 3 weeks?

I don't mind the taste variation for this batch at all and actually im very happy it didn't all come out the same allows the weather to decide what i am drinking that day. But for future brews it might not turn out in my favor so any imput helps

Noticed that there was black stuff at the bottom of the bottle for a couple bottles for both 12 and 22s what is that?

I have not noticed a difference, but I want looking either. I'm going to have to compare this.

I'm noticing that my 1 Liter swing tops are taking a longer time to age as well. Mine are barely carbonating! :( its been 2.6 weeks at 80F and they aren't even close to carbing

good good im not the only one i hope more will share in my confusion of the 2 brews in one batch theory

I'm noticing that my 1 Liter swing tops are taking a longer time to age as well. Mine are barely carbonating! :( its been 2.6 weeks at 80F and they aren't even close to carbing

Might be that 80F is little bit to hot i usually carb around 68F-70f and i have the 1 liter Ez cap Swingers they deffinitly take a bit more time than the norm i have had it where its taken up to 3 and half weeks.

Since i have had 1 outta of ever 6 bottle uses go uncarbed with a good amount of time and brand new seal also occasionally i get 2 or 3 that dont get a good enough carbonation to my liking

I was actually thinking on experimenting with Food Grade greases or oils on the gaskets because when i work on my motorcycles if you didn't lube up the gasket before you put it in you just screwed up the whole bikes function for creating a vacuumed chamber making a mess of things...soo i got the idea of using a very small amount of mineral oil to increase contact with the lip of the bottle and the FDA approved Mineral oil is perfectly safe i use it for my kitchen knives. and if you use a small enough of oil it wont get into the beer to affect head rentention and it is odorless and doesnt go rancid for long storage and when you pop one open just wipe the lip of the bottle but i will put a post up in a month to show a comparison i and i can throw you a message if it works out i hope then i can guarantee a carbed beer everytime cause i dont usually use many 32oz bottles max 6 per batch

Might be that 80F is little bit to hot i usually carb around 68F-70f and i have the 1 liter Ez cap Swingers they deffinitly take a bit more time than the norm i have had it where its taken up to 3 and half weeks.

Since i have had 1 outta of ever 6 bottle uses go uncarbed with a good amount of time and brand new seal also occasionally i get 2 or 3 that dont get a good enough carbonation to my liking

I was actually thinking on experimenting with Food Grade greases or oils on the gaskets because when i work on my motorcycles if you didn't lube up the gasket before you put it in you just screwed up the whole bikes function for creating a vacuumed chamber making a mess of things...soo i got the idea of using a very small amount of mineral oil to increase contact with the lip of the bottle and the FDA approved Mineral oil is perfectly safe i use it for my kitchen knives. and if you use a small enough of oil it wont get into the beer to affect head rentention and it is odorless and doesnt go rancid for long storage and when you pop one open just wipe the lip of the bottle but i will put a post up in a month to show a comparison i and i can throw you a message if it works out i hope then i can guarantee a carbed beer everytime cause i dont usually use many 32oz bottles max 6 per batch

That would be GREAT man. I only use 1L bottles since they were given to me as a gift. I'm building my stash of 12 oz. (its fun to drink beer to allow for the storage of beer) :rockin: I'm going to be getting a keggerator in the very near future from the family for the b-day. (parents' friend owns a pool hall and has some connections. So, should be a nice one)

I have all my beers sitting in the fridge right now and I left 4 bottles in the closet and am rotating them to keep the yeast in suspension for the next week or two and then I'll compare to see if it just takes a lot longer for the beer to carb in the larger sized containers.

Back