After boiling the Wort ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'm a new Homebrewer and I'm planning to brew my first AG batch in the Spring .

After collecting and boiling the Wort , should I transfer it directly to the Fermenter ,

OR should I dilute it with water to the desired Volume ( like extract brewing ) and

then transfer it to the Fermenter ?!

Hector

You would only want to dilute an all grain wort if you severely overshot your original gravity. As far as desired volume goes, just make sure you have about a gallon more wort pre-boil than you want post-boil.

So , why should the Wort be diluted with water to the desired Volume by Extract brewing ?!

Hector

So , why should the Wort be diluted with water to the desired Volume by Extract brewing ?!

Hector

That is how the recipes are designed.

When you brew all grain, all of your sugars come from mashing/sparging. Your grain bill determins the fermentable sugars, and after you mash, sparge and boil, if you add water, you will thin it out. That is why you do a full boil with all grain.

With extract, recipes are designed so that if you add your extract to 5-5.5 gallons of water, you will have the designated OG of the recipe...

That is how I understand it.

Back