Cork Question (Whack a cork!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jma99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings, Happy, Merry....... Stuff..............

Today I used my new floor corker for the first time that my family gave me for my birthday this past fall.

I bottled 5 gal of Pinot Noir and I could not believe how much easier the floor corker was!
Wine was started first week in September, degassed and racked three times, then finned with super-clear.
It looks and tastes wonderful!

i used synthetic corks and I soaked them in a starsan solution for about an hour. I used new bottles.

Everything went well, but I have a few bottles that the corks are rising up out of the bottle! I pushed them down, but they keep trying to pop up again.

Sort of like a slow motion game of whack a cork....

What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Joel

I am guessing here but could it be the soap in the StarSan? I know when I use rubber stoppers I have this same problem.

Residual CO2. My guess is you didn't degass it well enough. The slippery corks just made it easier for the gas to push them out. Next time try a quick rinse in a K-meta solution. StarSan might easily produce off flavors in wine. With K-meta you're getting a little sulfites you need anyway I drop four corks at a time and after they're bottled, I drop four more. None stays in longer than 3-4 minutes.

I always get a couple of corks that rise up, usually when bottle has to much wine in it and pressure builds up on corking. I recork the couple of bottles when it happens. also move fast and smooth with floor corker when it is time for cork to go into bottle. That seems to have solved problems for me

I was moving some wine to a wine rack my son built me for christmas yesterday. I noticed one bottle the cork was actually sucked into the bottle about a quarter inch..anyone ever see that?

My guess would be you used a #8 cork in a #9 opening...;)...unless all the corks and bottles are the same, then I'd say there was too much air inside the bottle that didn't compress. Plus, wet corks can get pushed out easier. :D

OHIOSTEVE: I use a hand corker that I hit with a rubber mallet. Most of the time my corks are below the rim of the bottle.

I always get a couple of corks that rise up, usually when bottle has too much wine in it and pressure builds up on corking.

:ban:I record the couple of bottles when it happens.

Also move fast and smooth with floor corker when it is time for cork to go into bottle.

That seems to have solved problems for me

Latest posts

Back