Late Hopped Cascade/Columbus IPA- HELP Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
I want to do an IPA will all late hops. Kinda like what Jamil talks about http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm

I have Cascade and Columbus hops lying around so I'd like to use those.

------------------------------------------
Recipe for a 11 gallon batch 70% efficiency:
------------------------------------------
Grains:

22# American 2 Row
1.5# Crystal 40
1# Munich

Hops:

2oz Columbus 12% 20 minutes
4oz Cascade 7% 10 minutes
4oz Cascade 7% 1 minute
2oz Cascade dry hop

Yeast:

Wyeast 1056 (or Nottingham if I get lazy and don't feel like making a starter)

OG 1.057, 6 SRM, 45 IBUs Rager

What do you all think?

-Mike

It has been said to at least add a bittering hop at 60. I have an APA coming up (maybe this weekend) based on the same technique. I'm going to bitter with half an ounce of Magnum at 60 min then 2 ounce of both Cascade and Centennial at 20 minutes.

Your grain bill is fairly similiar to mine.

5.5 gallon batch:
5.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter
3.00 lb Vienna Malt
1.00 lb White Wheat Malt
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

Just a thought about the bittering addition, btw. I don't have any experience with this and hate when people just regurgitate facts that they have not experienced first hand. I had just heard that these beers are best enjoyed young as the bitterness seems to fade. My IBUs on my APA are at 65 because I don't think the perception will be that high, kind of like in FWH.

Be sure and post your results. I will post mine in the thread that I started about my upcoming beer.

I will defiantly post my results. I'm hoping that some others that have done this before can chime in with whether a small 60 minute addition is needed or not..

I can't imagine NOT having a 60 minute bittering addition. Boiling for 60 minutes does something completely different from boiling for 20 or less. With the late addition hops, one gets almost no bitterness at all, just flavor and aroma. I do add a lot of hops near the end for the big aromas and flavors, but I always have a bitter foundation along with that.

I started a thread not too long ago with the recipe I posted above. MattUpNorth posted in it since he's had experience with the technique. Search for that. I believe the title is Hop Burst APA, or you can click under "View Threads" in my profile.

Ok ChefChris. it looks like you did a small Columbus addition at 60 minutes. How did that end up turning out? If it worked out well I'll probably do the same thing...

Back