Why is head not always good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
I'm still learning one brew to the next, been at it almost a year now, on #8 and have brewed 2 steam styles ( california commons) and a honey cherry wheat that have a great head. then I brew up IPA's, irish red and american ambers and few lighter brews and they have almost no head to them. Why is that? all are brewers best kits.

More than likely it is the recipie of the extract you used that is preventing good head formation. Adding fresh steeped grain runnings will improve a recipie from the extra protien added. Also using maltro dextrin with extract recipies will help.

Could it be that your glassware wasn't cleaned of detergents. Oil will destroy head formation also.

I also like to add either 1/4 lb of wheat malt if the recipe allows it. At that small amount it is not noticeable but does help with providing a nice smooth head. Either add it to your steeping grains or the mash if your doing all grain.

It's a good thing, unless they have Braces......

I'm just learning on the brewing side, but Kauai has it right as far as I've come in my learning. The more wheat malt the better the retention... but my last was not fluffy, more like foam.... so yes there is such a thing as too much head.

Back