Dry hopping w/o marbles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I am about to dry hop an IPA with 2 oz of Amarillo leaf hops. I have a muslin bag for this purpose. But I have no marbles on hand. I do, however, have leftover stainless steel washers from when I made my 10 gal mash tun.

Can I use SS washers, sanitized, in place of marbles?

Or you could just throw them in the fermenter and let them soak. When you go to bottle or keg, just put a paint strainer or mesh bag on the end of your racking cane.

i just throw the bag in the secondary, the hops usually weigh it down enough once they're wet. Never had an issue with that, infact this thread reminds me i have to pull the hop bag tonight...

No sacks, nuts, or glass balls here as well.

Commando.

The stacked washers should be fine. SS and not zinc plated, right? ;)

Well the washers didn't weigh down the bag enough to make it sink. So I said screw it and reach a pair of tongs through the mouth of the better bottle then just a big hole in it with a knife. Got the muslin hop bag out, but not the SS washers (not zinc plated). Whatever, I am more of a commando kind of guy anyway when it comes to my brewing. Let it ride.

Latest posts

Back