Rubber Stamp Alternative to Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyspade

Reaction score
I generally don't label bottles, unless I'm giving them away, but I thought I would share a method that's worked well for me as an alternative to labeling.

What I did was have a rubber stamp done up that I could use to stamp tags that I hang around the neck of the bottle. The artwork has some blank areas that I use to write in the type of beer it is, as well as the size of the bottle and the alcohol content. I've attached a photo to illustrate what I'm talking about, though you'll have to forgive the quality of my stamping. The finished product is usually a lot crisper but my ink pad had decided to give up on me.

I'm not sure how cost effective this method is but it's saved me a lot of time having to clean the labels off of bottles. The artwork is my own but the cost of having the stamp done was about $20, a good ink pad is about $5. I think I purchased the tags from Staples, they were just cheap mailing labels bought in a large quantity. They come with the string on them and fit nice and snug under the cap.

stamp.jpg

I like that a lot. Was the stamp something you ordered online? This would be a cool way to personalize blank 6 pack carriers. Very cool looking. I almost wish you could use a stamp as a sort of mini silk screen for two colour stamping!

Pretty nice! I thought about doing something similar, but printing on paper and using a glue stick to wrap the labels, rather than tags.

Nice art work too.

I like that a lot. Was the stamp something you ordered online? This would be a cool way to personalize blank 6 pack carriers. Very cool looking. I almost wish you could use a stamp as a sort of mini silk screen for two colour stamping!

I ordered it from a seller on Etsy, there's a ton of people there making custom stamps. I just emailed them the artwork and size specs. My wife, who makes jewellery, has something similar to the 2 colour process you mention. In her case, we had a couple of stamps made. I just split the artwork to represent each colour we needed. It's a bit of a pain though as you have to do twice as much stamping and it takes a precise hand. The effect gives her cards a handmade feel though, which is what she was looking for.

I ordered it from a seller on Etsy, there's a ton of people there making custom stamps. I just emailed them the artwork and size specs. My wife, who makes jewellery, has something similar to the 2 colour process you mention. In her case, we had a couple of stamps made. I just split the artwork to represent each colour we needed. It's a bit of a pain though as you have to do twice as much stamping and it takes a precise hand. The effect gives her cards a handmade feel though, which is what she was looking for.

I really like the look and simplicity of that... I may end up stealing your idea. :mug:

Great idea! I am pretty much frustrated with labels and this looks like a great alternative.

Great idea! I am pretty much frustrated with labels and this looks like a great alternative.

I agree. I've had enough of scissors and computer templates, not to mention the cost of computer ink.

I was thinking just about today of doing the same thing, but actually putting a seal or something on labels instead of artwork and just going with a plain "champagne bottle" look.

This is much nicer and convenient: looks like something a microbrewery would put out.

Looks very nice! I was thinking of doing something similar for a bunch of 750 ML bottled Tripel I have. Wanted to use some parchment type paper and a thin rope or twine to give it that rustic feel. I think I might actually print on the paper and trim out the tags.

Did those mailing labels come with the rounded top like that, or did you cut with something?

I decided to do stamping also, mainly because I have a POS ink-hog of a printer. Although, what I did was get some blank rubber and carve out what I wanted. Then I bought some witty labels from the local office store. The end result is labels that come off easily and have a somewhat handmade look by my hand carved stamp.

IMG_20101012_160845.jpg

Old thread, but I'm gonna make a stamp and just use them on shipping labels. Will be less confusing than the sharpie.

Back