Broken Hydrometer Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
While cleaning and sanitizing my equipment, my combination hydrometer thermometer broke. I didn't realize it was broken until I started pouring the sanitizer solution into my carboy.

I never saw any glass shards, and I caught it before the steel balls went into the carboy. I'm assuming that there is nothing really harmful in that thing since they usually use red dye and alcohol. I also used a strainer before pouring the beer in the fermenter so I assume that I will be safe from glass shards.

Should I just relax and have a home brew?

While cleaning and sanitizing my equipment, my combination hydrometer thermometer broke. I didn't realize it was broken until I started pouring the sanitizer solution into my carboy.

I never saw any glass shards, and I caught it before the steel balls went into the carboy. I'm assuming that there is nothing really harmful in that thing since they usually use red dye and alcohol. I also used a strainer before pouring the beer in the fermenter so I assume that I will be safe from glass shards.

Should I just relax and have a home brew?

Some hydros have all steel shot for weight, others may have lead shot. Have a look at the document that came with it.

Some hydros have all steel shot for weight, others may have lead shot. Have a look at the document that came with it.

Good call. It doesn't specify in the literature. It appears to be lead shot. But, I know for a fact that none of the balls made it into the fermenter. Even if it did, They would roll out as soon as I dumped it upside down.

It's a Alla Instruments Hydrothermometer.

Should I be concerned about excess lead?

Does anyone have information on the 12 inch Alla Thermohydrometer?

I contacted the manufacturer and the place where I purchased the thing: Brewers Apprentice in Freehold NJ.

I don't think I will be going back to that homebrew store. The manager who worked there refused to look at the literature that came with and told me point blank that there is mercury and lead in the product.

I went to allafrance.com and they claim that they do not use mercury in their thermometers. Instead they use an oil based solution with food coloring. I'm not so concerned about that liquid since none of it escaped.

Update:
Alla France told me that they use lead balls in their hydrometer and that in this instance they shouldn't pose a significant risk.

I figure what the hell I'll drink it. You only live once.

I always have a spare tucked away. Fortunately I still have my original Hydrometer :D

That is the way the universe works, if you always have two combs you'll never lose one, but if you only have one it will most assuredly become lost. Hydrometer breakage generally follows the same sort of pattern. :p

I can't believe how fragile these things are. I'm going to see if I can find one that is a little more rugged and non-toxic. I have seen the green hydrometers around. I might purchase one of those.

Mike

Its funny, because for my first year and a half of home-brewing I never had an issue with my hydrometer. I used to wonder what the heck everyone was doing to break them all the time. Karma.

I have broken four tripple-scale hydro's in the last five months. No lie. Karma.

-Todd

Its funny, because for my first year and a half of home-brewing I never had an issue with my hydrometer. I used to wonder what the heck everyone was doing to break them all the time. Karma.

I have broken four tripple-scale hydro's in the last five months. No lie. Karma.

-Todd

I had this weird feeling that my hydrometer was going to get broken prior to brewing. I keep my stuff at my brother-in-laws and he had to move some stuff because he was getting a basement window replaced.

Turns out that I broke the hydrometer while sanitizing it. Doh!

Man, I really hope I didn't get any lead balls in my brewing equipment. I swear I didn't see any, but you never know for sure. Then again when you think about it, there's probably hundreds of crap that can fall into your beer at any time. I should just forget about it.

That kind of lead exposure is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't want to have one of the little marbles sitting in a keg over the entire consumption or anything like that, but if one just happened to be in contact with the wort for a short time, no big deal.

That kind of lead exposure is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn't want to have one of the little marbles sitting in a keg over the entire consumption or anything like that, but if one just happened to be in contact with the wort for a short time, no big deal.

Ahhh... Thanks Bobby for the reassurance. :rockin:

I had to pick up some Montrachet yeast at an LHBS and only had my debit card with me. Well it turns out the minimum purchase for the store with a debit was 13 bucks, so i picked up an extra hydro, extra airlock, some bottlecaps, mostly little things you dont miss until you're without them. I feel so much better with an extra hydro in my brew supplies just in case something goes wrong. Like robert burns said, "the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley"

I always keep a spare around as well. Somehow I end up breaking at least 3 of the damn things a year. One time I even broke both of them in the same brew session.

This is quite interesting and makes me feel better. According to this, yeast will consume lead during fermentation. Actually beer probably has the least amount of lead than any drink on the planet.

From another article:

In addition, potentially toxic metals, such as cadmium, chromium, cobalt, lead, mercury and tin, are virtually absent. This is partly because breweries often use spring water, which is relatively free of chemical additives, and which will have absorbed very little metal from old pipework.

Another reason is that during fermentation the sulphur groups in the yeast act as a sponge for most of the heavier metals, removing them from solution. Yeast cells are extremely sensitive to their environment and are readily poisoned by metals that are toxic to humans. Yeast is therefore a useful yardstick for the nutritional wholesomeness of a beer: if yeast has thrived to produce the beer, it is safe to drink.

Take a look at the green line hydrometers and thermometers. They are non toxic and use steel shot instead of lead.

Back