Any good kegs out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenix26

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just put my second ever batch in the primary last night. The first batch I did and drank I put it in bottles. I wanna move away from bottles now and settle with a keg.
I'm in college and I do not have a ton of money to spend on a keg, but I do have some savings for one.
I've never used a keg before in homebrewing, so does anyone know of a simple, yet quality keg that will last me a while that is going for a reasonable price right now?

Thanks a lot. :)

You could try asking local bars/pubs if they've got one going spare or know anyone. long as it's not trashed it should be cool!

Unless you run into a rare craigslist deal, a used ball lock keg is going to set you back about $30-35 with shipping unless you live close to the seller and can arrange a pick up. Additionally you will need a CO2 tank/regulator/tap (cheap picnic tap will work for starting), and some beer/beverage line. (Keg starter kits usually start around $150 and include everything you need including one keg) Check the classified section of this forum for some keg sellers. Also look at

www.kegconnection.com
www.chicompany.net

or google for ball-lock (or pin-lock kegs).

McKBrew, he may possibly be talking about a 15.5 gallon Sanke keg instead of a 5 gallon cornelius keg. Even so, your advice still stands. The connections and fittings for Sanke's are different, but you'd still need CO2, a regulator, refrigerator, etc.

If he is trying to move away from bottles, I'd guess he is talking about cornies...

To the OP, where do you live?

These guys have used cornies for $19.99 + Shipping

http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon-Cornelious-Keg-Ball-Lock_p_21-70.html

you just missed out on some single handle cornies for $15.:(

They a have a bare bone kit for $89 and advertise a #4 tank for $50 so that would be A total of $139 + SHIPPING.

If bottling 12oz. bottles is too much of a time killer and kegging is too expensive consider using 2 and 3 liter coca cola bottles instead.

:mug:

Seems like a cornie would be the economical solution for him. A 15.5 gallon sanke to keg beer? How many college kids brew on that scale? Also, the cornies would be much more reasonable to purchase and easier to clean, not to mention they take up alot less space.

LoL thansk for the replies guys.

Yea, I guess what I'm lookin for is a cornie. Just a 5 gallon keg with all the nessesities and a co2 tank.

http://www.homebrewing.org/5-Gallon-Cornelious-Keg-Ball-Lock_p_21-70.html

I went to that suggested site there, but like I said.. I'm just a noob. I'm not sure of all the things I need and dont need with the keg. Such as O-rings, disconnects, popits, etc... Does it come with a CO2 tank?

Thanks,
Nick

That is just the keg. At a bare minimum you will need the CO2 tank, regulator, hoses, disconnects and potentially replacement O-rings. Best bet is a complete kit like this one. You can shop around and you'll see prices all over the place on a similar setup. This one is relatively cheap, but I don't know what they charge for shipping.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7738

Back