All grain question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeylard

Reaction score
Can someone please explain what the purpose of the top curved pipe is for

image-409861397.jpg

If it's the mash tun, I'd say it's the sparge arm. Prolly has little holes drilled in it to sprinkle on top of the mash during the sparge.

If it's not a mash tun, and it's a brew kettle, then that attachment is for whirlpooling at the end of the boil to help keep hot break and hops out of the fermenter.

No one has ever explained to me why recirculation ports have such a long tube on the interior. In other words, in that picture, is this assumed to work better than if the copper tube had not been inserted into that elbow fitting? If so, why?

No one has ever explained to me why recirculation ports have such a long tube on the interior. In other words, in that picture, is this assumed to work better than if the copper tube had not been inserted into that elbow fitting? If so, why?

If the wort came straight out of the elbow fitting, the turbulence at the end said fitting would make for a bit of mess with the dynamic of a whirlpool. The basic idea is to give the pipe the right curve for the liquid to follow in the same direction.

If you're curious, remove the outlet and keep the elbow, fill the keggle with water, and pump colored water (food coloring) through the whirlpool port. And then try again with the outlet installed. You should see a difference, in theory.

What I DO find strange is that the pick-up tube at the bottom is dead-center, which is exactly where the hops bits + hot break will end up. Sure, the liquid will make it just fine from the side into the pick-up tube, but the logic... :)

MC

Thanks for all of your help guys. I am getting into all grain and designing a brew rig just want to do all of me research before I go out and buy.

If the wort came straight out of the elbow fitting, the turbulence at the end said fitting would make for a bit of mess with the dynamic of a whirlpool. The basic idea is to give the pipe the right curve for the liquid to follow in the same direction.

What I DO find strange is that the pick-up tube at the bottom is dead-center, which is exactly where the hops bits + hot break will end up. Sure, the liquid will make it just fine from the side into the pick-up tube, but the logic... :)

MC

I can appreciate the theory. I suppose floating something on the surface to count the RPM of the whirlpool would be the best indicator of the efficacy of the whirlpool return design.

I'm not convinced the OP's linked pic is necessarily a boil kettle. That curved tube could just be a crude adjustable height recirc/sparge return in a mash tun.

Latest posts

Back