• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts for a mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javier25

Reaction score
Just bought a 52qt. Cooler, and am wanting to build a mash tun. Would anyone have any spare parts to build one? I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm in Virginia Beach, VA. I was thinking a water aupply hose for screening, but am naive about the all grain process. What's the differences between the 2? Which would be recommended? The manifold looks pretty fancy. Any pros/cons?

I used a Rubbermaid 36 quart cooler for my first mashtun and recently converted 52 quart Coleman extreme and 70 quart Coleman extreme cooler into mash tuns. With two young kids my time is limited so I run three brew sessions at the same time in one day. All of these have a ss mesh supply hose that I now wrap so voile material over in order to voloaf faster than I did before. This is mearly to save time and the headache of keeping small grain particles from getting into the wort.

msa8967 said:
I use a water supply hose because it is simpler for me to build with. I wanted to get my system up and going prior trying anything too fancy.

That's what I was thinking as well, but am open to ideas and suggeations.

*suggestions ......(fingers too chubby for this phone!)

I use a 46qt coleman cooler with a cpvc manifold. I got my ball valve and bulkhead from bargainfittings.com

I would highly recommend a copper manifold with slits cut into it. It is not very expensive and kind of fun to build. All you really need is a long piece of copper tubing and some fittings. A tubing cutter in necessary too. They work very well. The stainless steel braid might give you a stuck sparge at times. Plus, they dont pull the wort evenly out of the cooler bottom. They really only act as a filter behind the bulkhead.

msa8967 said:
I now wrap so voile material over in order to voloaf faster than I did before. This is mearly to save time and the headache of keeping small grain particles from getting into the wort.

Sorry off topic:
The voile doesn't get clogged and slow down your runoff?

Back