Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoking 10lbs.pork butt,brats,chicken quarters for sundays annual picnic.wash it all down with sangrias made with grape mead. That I made a few months ago.

ForumRunner_20130523_093025.jpg

I have 25 lbs of boston butt I will be smoking tomorrow. Along with a black bean recipe that sits on the smoke for three hours. I swear the beans are so good mmmmm.

Memorial weekend is upon us. The big smoke continues. I don't know how many butts we are smoking. Attendance varies. There will probably be 70-90 people show up. We could probably put BBQ in at least 110 people's mouths.

40 lbs of good shoulder. Just spiced and wrapped tonight. Got cherry wood and pecan standing by.

Tnoodle that looks pretty tasty. I give you five stars for that. :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar: . Got me really looking forward to this weekend.

Wish I had a source for cherry and pecan. Living in south Florida oak is available and in my area we have some maple but that's about it. I can buy the others at speciality shops but trying to heat my smoker with wood from those guys would require another mortgage.

unclevername said:
Wish I had a source for cherry and pecan. Living in south Florida oak is available and in my area we have some maple but that's about it. I can buy the others at speciality shops but trying to heat my smoker with wood from those guys would require another mortgage.

That's why we bring the temp up with white oak, smoke for a while with fruit and nut woods, and finish the cook with more white oak.

unclevername said:

I live in north Florida and have the same problem. It gets expensive to smoke with bought hardwood. Try finding you a citrus grower and see if he has trees that he has cleaned out. The flavor from the trees works amazing on pork!

Estrider03 said:
I live in north Florida and have the same problem. It gets expensive to smoke with bought hardwood. Try finding you a citrus grower and see if he has trees that he has cleaned out. The flavor from the trees works amazing on pork!

Never thought about citrus, we have several groves around. I bet that would be good and uniquely Florida.

Where in North Florida? I have family around Tallahassee.

unclevername said:
Never thought about citrus, we have several groves around. I bet that would be good and uniquely Florida.

Where in North Florida? I have family around Tallahassee.

North Jaxs

And I took advantage of the Home Depot sale and got 120 lbs of charcoal. That oughta hold me for a while.

Gotta figure out something to smoke for this long weekend - gotta be something great!

Keepin it pretty simple for Sunday: a turkey, couple racks of ribs, and some brats...we only got a dozen people comin over so I'm not going hog wild ;)

Just put 10lb. Pork butt and some chicken in for the annual memorial day party should be a good time.

ForumRunner_20130525_173654.jpg

ForumRunner_20130525_173705.jpg

Planning on doing a couple racks of ribs and a couple of chickens on Monday. Made the sauce and rub today, will rub ribs and brine the chickens tommorow. Probably throw a fatty and maybe some tater skins on to fill up the smoker and have something to nibble on while everything is cooking.

Will be smoking pork butt tomorrow of a my cheapo brinkmann. I actually think I will post pone brewing this weekend until next to make mods on it.

Its my first time other than veggies and precooked meats.

after some coffee this morning, I'm going tomake my way to the super market and see what I feel luike putting in the smoker. i feel like trying something new. I"ve done plenty of pork butts and brisket and ribs. I'm gonna look up some recipes.

got some pork chops ready to go here in a short while. SWMBO will make her famous homemade applesauce to go with it.

I just bought a new yoder pellet grill.
Did some steaks, to try the grill side out.
Got some bacon wrapped chicken breast with peppers smoking. Bacon wrapped porkchop
Smoking a few hard boiled eggs.
Tomorrow pork butts chicken wings and spare ribs.

While today is MEMORIAL Day, not National Barbeque Day, we do have to eat. So, the charcoal is lighted for the smoker; hickory chunks are soaking in water; the ribs are already seasoned and ready to go; the sauce is cooking on the stove as I type this. My goal is to have the ribs on the smoker by around 1230pm. We'll eat them for dinner around 600pm-ish. And I will enjoy an Oatmeal Stout or two with my ribs.

glenn514:mug:

Here is what was cooked up for a party on Saturday. This was 9 racks of baby backs, 2 chuckie's, and some smoked beans. Delish!

20130525_173024.jpg

Smoking a couple small pork butts for tomorrow and some ABTs. I am sure the neighbors will be over to see what's going on.

First one I've done with skin on. Was outstanding. Brown sugar and paprika based rub and injected with Lawry's pineapple marinade. The brown sugar melted off so I went ahead and injected that as well with some OJ to thin it down.

image-3087063386.jpg

EHV said:
First one I've done with skin on. Was outstanding. Brown sugar and paprika based rub and injected with Lawry's pineapple marinade. The brown sugar melted off so I went ahead and injected that as well with some OJ to thin it down.

I never smoked a ham by itself. Give me details, how long, what temp, do you wrap it in foil?

I never smoked a ham by itself. Give me details, how long, what temp, do you wrap it in foil?

Smoked at 225 degreees to an internal of 180 at the bone. I put the smoke to it for about the first six hours, then just leave it alone. No foil for me until it hits the 180. Remove it from the smoker then I wrap it up in foil then wrap it in towels and put it away in the microwave to finish cooking and rest. Leave it sit for hours, this one sat for about 6 hours. (Had an outpatient surgery so patience wasn't an issue)
My next shoulder I would likely leave it in a bit longer so a little more of the fat renders but it turned out excellent.

Back