Label Peelers says longer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got mine - very excited. The only surprise is how small a # bag of pellets is. Next year I'll have to go big with leaf hops.

I hate leaf hops. They are huge and a major PITA to get into smaller bags. If I'd have known I was guaranteed Citra pellets, I'd have never bought Citra leaf.

I hate leaf hops. They are huge and a major PITA to get into smaller bags. If I'd have known I was guaranteed Citra pellets, I'd have never bought Citra leaf.

I hear you on that. I have an unopened pound of citra leaf right now, I am out of space and sitting on a number pounds of Citra pellet and don't really need them (the leaf).

I started brewing a long time ago before I took a very long break, back then I only remember using leaf hops. When I got back into I used leaf hops out of habit. Then I started to understand some of the convenience factor of pellets. I may never go back.

I think leaf hops taste better, and I actually find them easier to use since try don't clog my equipment. They are also great for dry hopping and leave way less mess in the fermenter.

bottlebomber said:
I think leaf hops taste better, and I actually find them easier to use since try don't clog my equipment. They are also great for dry hopping and leave way less mess in the fermenter.

I used my Centennial leaf the day it came in the mail to dry hop my Two Hearted (as close as it gets) clone. After it was carbed, it knocked my socks off, I finally understood what centennial is supposed to taste like. I have dry hopped plenty of beers with pellets, I have never had these type of results.

I can't say that I think one taste "better" then the other, but I do think leaf and pellet hops of the same variety taste differently, and I also appreciate these other features.

That said, if I'm not going to recycle/reuse yeast, and I'm going to dryhop in the fermenter I still prefer pellets. But for the boil and dryhopping in the keg, I prefer leaf.

Just ordered up three pounds of leaf hops (Cascade, Citra, Centennial).

An FYI for anyone looking to order they are running a promo right now for 20 percent off.

Use code NEWYEAR at checkout.

Back